Video in Storyline

Jun 18, 2018

Hi all,

I'm working on a project where I have a few videos integrated into slides and layers. I want users to physically click on the play button I have created for the video to begin, but no matter what I seem to do, the video will always automatically begin as soon as the timeline begins. I don't have a trigger for it to begin when the timeline begins.

I've attached a screenshot of my slide and I'm also going to link to a short video showing that the video begins when the timeline begins: https://www.screencast.com/t/ZMNJrks4 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

7 Replies
Stefanie Lawless

Hi Stormi!

While I couldn't quite see which video options you had on the video, videos by default will start automatically. It's super easy to change if you click on your video, then use the ribbon titled Video Tools Options. Change the Play to When triggered and it should work the way you want! See the screenshot here for more details: 

VIdeo options

I hope that helps!

Sue Mullen

Sadly, this technique doesn't seem to work for me. When I set my videos to play when triggered (for each layer), they insist on playing when the layer shows. Even If i have a layer trigger to pause the video until a button is clicked, the video plays anyway. If I move the video further down the timeline (say, to 3 secs), the audio begins autoplaying immediately, then the video shows up at 3 seconds. Very weird. 

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Sue.  Thanks for letting us know what's happening on your end!  I did a test with video on a layer.  The first slide plays video when clicked, the second - when triggered, and the third - automatically after 2 seconds.

Can you let me know if you see the same behavior in my output?  Also, if you can share your .story file and/or a link to your output, I'd like to see if your setup differs.  

Thanks!

Crystal Horn

Hi Sue.  Just an update - I changed each of my slides to have video with audio.  I'm now seeing that when navigating to a layer that has video, the audio from the video will start playing automatically in IE, Edge, Safari and Firefox.

We're having a look at this behavior, and I'll let you know any new information as it comes.  Thanks to you and Stefanie for pointing it out!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Good news! We fixed the issue you reported where the video on a layer was playing automatically and ignoring the set trigger. 

Install the latest Storyline 360 update to take advantage of all the recent features and fixes. Here's how.

If the problem happens again, please record a Peek 360 screencast for me, and I'll be happy to help! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.