Video not playing once project is published...

Aug 29, 2012

Hi guys,

Am having a small problem publishing a small Storyline project, was hoping someone could help! I've added a video to a single slide, and set it to play automatically. It works fine when I preview, but as soon as I publish, the video doesn't start playing.

Anyone seen this before?

I've added the source file to this location:

Thanks in advance guys

18 Replies
Brian Allen

Hello Ant,

Downloaded the story and previewed, video played fine.  Published and the video still played fine, so I'm not able to replicate the issue there.

Are you having problems after the video is uploaded to a server?  If so, then you are more than likely running into a mime-type issue:

When we first transitioned to using mp4 video we had to have it enabled on all of our servers before the video would work.  If you have a site through a website host, there will normally be a control panel where you can enable these settings, or you may need to contact your web hosts customer support.

Brian Allen

I believe that if you insert your video as a FLV, then Storyline will not convert it to mp4, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

The language in this video tutorial makes me believe that's the way it works:

It states: "Storyline supports numerous video file formats.  SWF, FLV, and MP4 are natively supported.  Other video file formats will be automatically converted to MP4 when you insert them into Storyline."

It would be great though if someone else could chip in here and confirm one way or another...

Brian Allen

That is strange - is it possible that the other videos aren't mp4? 

I know that when we first starting using the mp4 format we had to add the mime type to our LMS servers.  That, plus the fact that your story played fine for me when I published it made me believe that it was probably a mime type issue, but it's possible that it could be something else.

Ant Pugh

Hi guys,

Just to add to this thread, I have worked out that it cannot be anything to do with the server settings and MIME etc., because the video is playing in the Preview but isn't playing once the project is published and I open the HTML file stored locally on my machine.

So this is before it has been uploaded to the server..

I have another thread with another issue that my backgrounds are disappearing when I publish the project (, so I'm thinking that maybe there's something I've done with my computer that is causing these issues.... this has never happened before.

So if anyone else has any ideas, please let me know

Mike Enders


Near as I can figure, it has to do with the built-in flash player in Chrome.  The Adobe forums have had some buzz about it lately.  I'm guessing it's not a Storyline bug, but more a bug on either Adobe or Google's part.  I have had some luck disabling the latest version of the plug-in in Chrome and getting SL output to play normally.


Martin Talbot


Appreciate this is a very old post, but we came upon this problem recently as well. Our customer was using a number of different LMS's and some uers could see and hear the video, whilst others just saw a  blank screen with no audio. The 'non-video' Storyline screens in the module worked just fine, however. We tried the Mime route and everything else that was recommended, but to no avail.

It seems, however, that we have fixed the problem.Strange as it seems, it is possibly something to do with the length of the pathway to the Storyline files. If we mapped a drive rather than use the UNC for the server AND maybe reduced the length (or number) of folder names in the path, it all worked fine. We could reproduce this problem and solution on a number of our machines and it seems to have sorted the problem for our customer, too.

Credit where credit is due, I have to thank my colleague Barry Stoner for his work on this problem!



Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Martin,

Thanks for sharing that here - and linking to a file with a path close to or over 260 characters is known to cause problems as indicated here, and this is actually a limit imposed by Microsoft. 

You'll also want to ensure you haven't used any special characters, symbols, etc. as mentioned in that article within your file name or path and that you work with local project files. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.