Video playback problems Articulate Storyline 360

Feb 18, 2017

It seems any video I publish in Storyline 360 cannot be controlled by the seek bar or the video control bar. Every time I try the video goes back to the start.

I was using Storyline 2 and had no problems. Is it me or is there a problem?

76 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Bob and Tizi, 

I did want to share an update here, that we still have an open issue where clicking on the Seekbar will restart a Video when published from Storyline 360  to Articulate Online. 

Bob, I'm glad you found the read-only setting - and that it fixed it for you! No need to bury your head in the sand, unless it's for a lovely much-deserved beach vacation. 😉

Angie Elliott

Hi, Bob! I appreciate your troubleshooting and following up with the thread. As Ashley mentioned below, the seekbar issue isn't completely resolved by ensuring that the seekbar player settings are set to "User can drag seekbar." Mine is set this way and it doesn't work in Chrome, but it does work in IE. When we added our LMS to our white list it allowed it to work in Chrome, but not in IE. Hopefully, an answer will come soon!

Walt Hamilton

Key,

Back in the days of SL 2, when you scrubbed the seekbar, all the timing on the slide got out of whack, and the users complained bitterly. Articulate's solution was to rig the seekbar so that when moved, it jumped only to key frames in the video. Listening to your description, it strikes me that you may scrubbing less than half the distance to the first key frame. If so, it will jump to the nearest key frame, which may be at the beginning of the video.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi everyone,

We have just pushed an update that should fix the following issue:

Clicking on Seekbar restarts Video when published with Storyline 360 and uploaded to Articulate Online

No republishing should be needed and any affected courses should now be corrected.

Please feel free to take a look at your courses in Articulate Online and let me know if you're seeing any issue with the video restarting when using the seekbar. 

Crystal Horn

Hi Anthony. Thanks for those details. Here are the first features I would explore:

We're also happy to have a closer look at your file. You can share it with us here and provide some detail about the performance issues you're seeing in your LMS. Thanks!

Achieva Inc

Quick question - has anyone experienced mp4 video playback issues when using interactive elements in the same slide in SL360? Specifically, videos will repeat when the timeline ends and the user selects a clickable object on the slide. I believe that the state change of that selected object is somehow causing the video on the slide to replay. The video is also slightly shorter than the slide timeline duration, which may be a key factor here... (tested on google chrome with modern player, haven't tested other browsers or the classic player yet) 

Here is a quick example file with a True/False quiz question narrated by a moderator in an .mp4 video in the background of the slide. It is a very specific bug, but if you wait until the timeline ends and then select either True or False, the background video will repeat from the beginning. Doesn't seem to happen if you select an answer while the video is playing and before the timeline ends for some reason...

I have been able to workaround this by using a series of slide layers, putting the video underneath and the answer buttons on a higher layer, but it requires some specific setup to hide the video layer at a certain point so it does not repeat. I have also experimented with separating the video and audio track since the video's audio can still be heard when it repeats, but I was hoping there may be a fix for this in a future update!

Thanks,

Ryan

Lauren Connelly

Hi Ryan!

I'm glad you found a workaround, and I appreciate you sharing it with the community!

I recreated the slide with the video, and couldn't get the video to continue to play. As you said, it could be that everything is on one slide. A different way to create that is to add a layer that has the "True", "False", and "Submit" buttons. And then add a trigger that says to show layer when the media completes.

I've created a sample slide for a different approach. Please let me know if I can clarify anything!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.