Video Quality

Jul 22, 2013

Is it normal for video quality to be degraded once a module is published? I've inserted a high-res video into my course (its an .mov file) and it looks GREAT when it's previewed. But after publish it looks very low quality (very pixelated). Is this normal...? Is there anything I can do about it?

5 Replies
Mark Blessington

I have been using the "replace low quality with high quality" video band aid mentioned above. It does not work well when there is a person talking. The high quality clip is out of sync.

The actual HD clip is in sync. But when I replace it in the Story_Content folder for the low res version created by Storyline, I end up with a lag, where the person talking is out of sync with the audio track.

Online learners expect a HD experience. We need to offer it with our courses.

ahssan moshref

I am with Mark on this one. Even the optimization of video/image quality during export is not sufficient. As a designer, I do not want to see the quality of the typography, icons or photos used in my  videos degrade.

With the current project, using Storyline means no programing and quick turnaround but the poor video quality is making me think to go maybe with Macromedia Flash and action script. 

For those who do not have the skills and resource to do so but appreciate quality, this means torture and no consumer, client or customer should go through this. I articulate comes up with solution to maintain its customer's loyalty.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Ahssan and welcome to Heroes!

With the release of Storyline 2, we included an option to stop the automatic video compression as detailed here.

This applies to the three most common MP4 profiles: baseline, main, and high. If theCompressionproperty is grayed out in Storyline, it means your video was created with a differentprofile.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.