Video size

Sep 27, 2013

What size should an inserted video be to look clear in Storyline - what dimensions? I'm trying to create a video outside of Storyline and then insert it into a slide so I want to make sure I create the video file with the right dimensions. I'm using the Storyline Player.

Thanks!

6 Replies
Josh Uhlig

Ejuana,

There isn't a standard size that will work for every video.  The quality and size of the video you start with is likely what you want to focus on.  If you have a large HD video to start with, you can pretty much use any dimension that will fit in your Storyline slide.  In general I recommend not using dimensions that would be larger than your original video.

You'll also want to work with the publish settings to determine the quality of video in the published product.

Ejuana Mitchell

Thanks Josh!

Leslie, 

I think I should have asked the question a different way - what's more important - that the user see all the information or that the information is clear? This question relates to recording within or outside of Storyline.

My situation is - I have a screen to record that has more information than I can clearly show all at one time in the player window when I have a menu.

It seems I have a few options, but I'm not sure which one is the best solution for this situation:

1. Reduce the resolution of my computer  to get all the information in the screen for the audience without needing to zoom - but now the information looks fuzzy
  2. Keep the resolution high on my computer and only record part of the screen at a time- now the information looks clear but the audience can't see everything at one time.
  3. Keep the resolution high on my computer and record all of it and zoom in on the parts I am talking about - so now the audience can see all the information - but not clearly - until I zoom in.

Hopefully what I'm asking makes sense,

Thanks!

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi Ejuana,

Not sure if this will help, but my perspective as a Learner and as a producer of many Camtasia videos for eLearning is this:

Show the context first for the area you will be addressing...this means a "zoom out" 

Then zoom in as you discuss the details of that area.

So, I guess this would be your option 3.

Just my 2 cents!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.