Visited States

May 04, 2020

Good Morning!

I currently have a menu slide that is set up to direct the user to different scenes upon clicking each menu item. I gave each item a visited state, but this is where I run into a problem. Once the user clicks on the menu item, it quickly turns to visited and then the intended scene begins. My question is, how do I make the menu item show visited only after the user made it through all the slides within that particular section of the course? I am just worried about how it looks from a user perspective. 

I should note that I am also new to Storyline, lol! 

Thanks for any information.

1 Reply
Judy Nollet

Hi, Mallori,

A button with the Visited state will always change to that state as soon as it's clicked.

• To prevent the button from looking different as soon as the user clicks it, make the Visited state look exactly like the Normal state. Or just delete the Visited state.
  • To make each button look different after the user finishes viewing the designated scene, you'll need to use custom states, variables, and conditions.
    • Add a custom state to each button. The name doesn't really matter. For now, let's call it SceneDone.
    • Create a T/F variable for each scene, with the default value of False. For example: Scene1Done, Scene2Done, etc.
    • On the Menu slide, add a trigger for each button to change its state to SceneDone with the condition that the associated variable is True. Also, be sure to set the Slide Properties to Reset to Initial State when the user revisits, to ensure the program will look at this trigger every time the user returns to the Menu.
    • On the last slide of each scene, add a trigger to adjust the corresponding variable to True. For example, in scene 1, the trigger would adjust the Scene1Done variable.

If you aren't familiar with custom states, variables, and conditions, I highly recommend that you review the Storyline user guide and/or tutorials. Those functions will give you much more control.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.