WCAG 2.0: ARIA attributes and Storyline 360

Aug 16, 2018

Hi all - I am helping my team meet WCAG 2.0 requirements for a customer with courses created in Articulate Storyline 360. According to the WCAG VPAT for Storyline, the following standard is author controlled: 4.1.2 Name, Role, Value.

How is this controlled/changed/edited, and how could we ensure this is changed through the tool and not through manually changing any of the output (published files/code)?

For example: how would we change the values for the following attributes for aria-describedby="unspoken" or aria-labelledby="label-1-0-5"?

36 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hey Tim,

You've got quite the task on your hand, so I'm happy to help break it down further. 

I'd start by taking a look at the description of standard 4.1.2 here.

It's a lot to go through, but in short, as the Storyline author you'd want to look at using alt text or on-screen text, especially for interactive objects like text entry. Doing so will ensure that learners with assistive technologies know what that field is for. 

Also, as I understand it, ARIA is a subset of standards within WCAG 2.0. WCAG 2.0 and ARIA are not one in the same, and Storyline currently supports the WCAG 2.0 standards. 

Hi Sam,

This article outlines how we’ve optimized Storyline 2 and later to support WCAG 2.0 criteria, Levels A and AA.

You may also find this video tutorial helpful on how to make Storyline 360 courses that support Section 508 and WCAG accessibility guidelines using closed captions, tables, alt text, custom tab order, and more.

We're working on a number of accessibility enhancements for Storyline and making great progress. To help with that, we've been consulting our customers about specific needs and have identified a range of improvements we can make, although I don't have specifics to share yet, I'll let them know about your concerns for support of WCAG 2.1.

Sam Carter

The WCAG 2.1 statement 1.3.4 on Portrait and Landscape support:  SL has that now. Others maybe not yet, and others are up to the author. Statement 1.4.10 Reflow: SL has that now.

Then there are areas I'm not familiar with:  2.1.4 Character Key Shortcuts, 2.5.1 Pointer Gestures, many more. It isn't terrible not to support all these points.  How can I get a list of what is supported?

Thanks, Sam. I didn't want to mess with your document formatting, so here's the list of WCAG 2.1 criteria with notations on if it's supported or not applicable to Storyline. The only ones we don't have support for are 1.3.5 and 1.3.6, but we'll keep you posted if that changes! 

1.3.4 Orientation (AA) - Supports
1.3.5 Identify Input Purpose (AA) - Does Not Support
1.3.6 Identify Purpose (AAA) - Does Not Support
1.4.10 Reflow (AA) - Supports
1.4.11 Non-Text Contrast (AA) - Supports
1.4.12 Text Spacing (AA) - Not Applicable
1.4.13 Content on Hover or Focus (AA) - Supports
2.1.4 Character Key Shortcuts (A) - Supports
2.2.6 Timeouts (AAA) - Supports
2.3.3 Animation from Interactions (AAA) - Supports
2.5.1 Pointer Gestures (A) - Supports
2.5.2 Pointer Cancellation (A) - Supports
2.5.3 Label in Name (A) - Supports
2.5.4 Motion Actuation (A) - Not Applicable
2.5.5 Target Size (AAA) - Supports
2.5.6 Concurrent Input Mechanisms (AAA) - Supports
4.1.3 Status Messages (AA) - Not Applicable

Hi Sam,

Are you looking for specific shortcuts to use with Storyline and focused on accessibility? It may depend on the browser and any screen reader tools you're using, but keys like Tab, Enter, Space Up/Down arrows are all ones you can use with Storyline and a screen reader to navigate around. 

You'll also find a mention in this article on designing accessible courses about how you could add in your own keyboard shortcuts for learners. 

Sam Carter

HTML and HTML5 websites that offer keyboard shortcuts don't require a screen reader to do the shortcut.  Tabs or special keys can step through or invoke specific links like: next page or previous page, pause, play.

So what I've gleaned is that Storyline's player doesn't have built-in keyboard shortcuts for player controls.

Alyssa Gomez

Great question, Jessi!

We've worked through all the WCAG 2.1 criteria for Storyline 360, which has more features such as closed captions and custom tab order. If accessibility is important for a course that you're building, especially WCAG 2.1 support, I would recommend using Storyline for its robust accessibility features instead of Studio. Would that be an option for you?

Jessi Auslander-Crick

Hi Alyssa,

I actually do use Storyline and I meant to link this page: 

https://articulate.com/support/article/articulate-storyline-and-web-content-accessibility-guidelines-wcag

The page doesn't have the newest WCAG items included. Such as the ones Ashley listed above:

1.3.4 Orientation (AA) - Supports
1.3.5 Identify Input Purpose (AA) - Does Not Support
1.3.6 Identify Purpose (AAA) - Does Not Support
1.4.10 Reflow (AA) - Supports
1.4.11 Non-Text Contrast (AA) - Supports
1.4.12 Text Spacing (AA) - Not Applicable
1.4.13 Content on Hover or Focus (AA) - Supports
2.1.4 Character Key Shortcuts (A) - Supports
2.2.6 Timeouts (AAA) - Supports
2.3.3 Animation from Interactions (AAA) - Supports
2.5.1 Pointer Gestures (A) - Supports
2.5.2 Pointer Cancellation (A) - Supports