WCAG 2.1 Success Criterion 3.1.1 Language of Page - How can this be achieved in Articulate Storyline

Aug 17, 2018

WCAG 2.1 Success Criterion 3.1.1 Language of Page specifies that "The default human language of each Web page can be programmatically determined."

I haven't been able to find a way to specify what language my Storyline 360  project is published in.

In story_html5.html, I see the tag <html lang="en-US">

However, the language parameter is not set in story.html

Besides manually editing HTML files, how can I can specify what language my Storyline 360 project is?

11 Replies
Alfred Low

I would think that being able to set the project language would be relatively simple (and potentially tied to the Player's Text Labels > Language parameter), that would make the software's products slightly more accessible.

Note: the Player's Text Labels > Language parameter might not be the best place to specify the project's language as it's list of supported languages is very limited.

If an Articulate Staff member can confirm that ability to set the project's Language is not a current feature, I am happy to submit a feature request.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Alfred,

You can adjust the language used throughout your course by changing the player text labels as you mentioned and translating the course using the feature described here. 

We don't have a feature to change the language post-publishing or once hosted in your server/LMS. It may be an option within the browser you could enable, as I do notice that sometimes when viewing a community members course, Google Chrome offers to translate it for me. 

If you'd like to share your thoughts on this as a new feature, please feel free to send that along as a feature request here. 

Alfred Low


I never meant for Articulate to support changing the language post-publishing.  Language should always be set prior to publishing.

Having to do it post-publishing is the poor workaround Articulate's paying customers have to resort to in order to comply with WCAG2.1

And to be clear, it is not about translation.  As stated in the original post, the purpose of the language setting is to so that screen readers (and other assistive technology) to programmatically determine the language of the content.

I will post a feature request but can you share how I can monitor the status of the request?



Crystal Horn

Hi Alfred!  I did a couple quick tests with changing the Player Text Labels settings to a different language.  I used French and Turkish for testing.  After publishing for web, both the story.html and the story_html5.html files adjusted the language parameter to what was selected in the Player.

Can you tell me if you were using a specific language in the player where you noticed the "lang=" remained at the English setting?

Or were you looking for another way to set that language parameter in case you were using a language not supported in the Player Text Labels options?

Thanks again!

Alfred Low


I did not change the Player's default of "English".

When I examined the published story.html, the html tag didn't have a lang attribute.

However, the story_html5.html had the lang="en-US" attribute set.

The latter does not conform with ISO 639-1 Language Codes (https://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_language_codes.asp).

The HTML files in question are attached to my initial post above.


Alfred Low

Leslie McKerchie

No worries Alfred!

We actually have a great conversation here that you could take a look at. One user mentions how to change this in the file, but you'd want to be aware of the language set for the user's browsers as well.

It also looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.