Webobject, Change with scaling after newerst Update of Articulate Storyline 360

Apr 03, 2019

After last update webobjects not scale correctly anymore.  Before webobjects did scale with the the whole page. This make us big problems in many projects. Is any change this get fixed?

14 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Antonie,

I'd love to help you get to the bottom of this. We don't have any known issues related to web object scaling, so I'm curious to test your file on our side.

Would you be willing to share a sample slide with our team? If that works for you, you can upload your file privately to our support team here. We'll give it a test and let you know what we find!

Michael Bellis

Hi guys, please can you help us with this same issue, we have a client who requires the course to scale and the webObject glossary we've used no longer scales with the course in the latest releases of Storyline, we still haven't found an older version of Storyline where this bug doesn't exist, but we will keep checking back to the 2018 releases.

We're using the latest version of storyline to demonstrate this problem, which I've done a screen record of here. https://360.articulate.com/review/content/8a036c0e-cd99-410c-b8fb-67746441ea21/review

Please find attached a demo of the problem, publish, go the top right button and select glossary from the pop out menu and try to resize the window you'll see the issue with the WebObject remaining a fixed size, which never used to happen with previous version of Storyline. This is a big problem for us. Please can you advise what can be done about this, thank you.

Regards
Michael

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Michael and Antoine. We're seeing this behavior in HTML5 output when the classic player is set to "scale player to fill browser window." When I change the player properties to "lock the player at the optimal size," the full glossary displays. Check out the difference here.

Is it possible that you made changes to how the player behaves between versions?

In the meantime, I've added this discussion to our report so we can let you know of any changes to this behavior.

Michael Bellis

Hi Crystal, thanks for your effort on this and your reply.

Unfortunately our client needs the course to scale, and can't accept a fixed size solution in this case, otherwise that would have been a great work around.

No, we've not changed the way the course or web object work, it's something that's happened as a result of the Storyline update. When I rolled back to Dec 2018 I was unable to open our current course file for this client, due to some features being unavailable, but instead created a new one page course and implemented the same web object glossary and was able to prove that in that release of SL360 the bug doesn't exist and the course and glossary scale correctly together.

I've submitted this as a bug and had a response from your team, so I'm looking forward to hearing from them. Case #01813535 We do urgently need a solution to this.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Michael,

I don't have an update to share yet. The latest build of Storyline (Storyline 360, build 3.28.18944.0) was released yesterday and had been locked down prior to the report of this issue. It's worth downloading and installing that update to see if you're still experiencing trouble.

Also, I see it noted that this issue didn't exist in Update 25 for a number of customers so you're able to roll back to that update if needed. Once we have more details to share, our team will post here and reply to your case! 

Michael Bellis

Hi Ashley, thank you for your response.

I tried the May 28th 2019 update, it didn't resolve the web object issue.

Yes the earlier version of Storyline (February 26 2019) doesn't contain this bug, as you say, but unfortunately when trying to open our most recent project file in that version of SL, we get an error (see attached) that is basically saying it was created in a newer version of SL and is not compatible with this older version, because some feature were not available in that version.

If there was some way to know what features these were, maybe we could strip these out, open the project in the older version and go from there. If you know of a way, please let me know?

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to matter whether there actually are features in the new version that aren't compatible with the old version. What seems to happen is that once you open a project file with the new version of SL it somehow marks the file as being incompatible with previous versions, perhaps you can confirm this?

From a test I did, where I created a one page test file with a web object, in the Dec 2018 version of SL and then I opened it in the latest May 28th SL I was then unable to open it in the Dec 2018 version again, as I got the same error about it not being compatible because of some features being unavailable. This is despite making no changes to the project file. What we found also is that on the project in question that started this who problem, we had a previous version saved in April, which is now out of date in terms of content and, but as a test we tried to open this file (which hasn't been opened presumably since April) in the older Feb release of SL and it opens fine. It's not feasible for us to work forward from the April .story file though, as too much has changed since.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you make of our findings and for an update from Articulate on this bug.

Thank you

Michael

Michael Bellis

Thanks for that insight Phil. It's a bit of a shame to lose the backwards compatibility of files with older versions of Storyline, when issues like this come up. But I also understand that things are moving forward and getting better with Storyline so it's the price of progress I guess.

I hope there'll be a fix soon.

Leslie McKerchie

I understand, Michael. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

We have documentation here regarding compatibility and specifically to your concern:

A project is not compatible when the author uses a newer version of Storyline 360 and any of these media library features: alt text, closed captions, notes, or character renaming. The project file won’t open in these versions of Storyline 360. Install the latest Storyline 360 update to restore compatibility.

A project is compatible if the author avoids using the media library features mentioned above. You can open, edit, and publish the Storyline 360 project as usual.

Lauren Connelly

We've found the fix!

We just released Update 34 (Build 3.34.20804.0) for Storyline 360 which includes the fix for the bug where Web Objects were misaligned and sized incorrectly in the published output! 

Go ahead and update Storyline 360 on your Articulate 360 Desktop app to receive the newest fixes!

Head over here to see all the other fixes included in this update.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.