Weird behaviour in states in Storyline360

Jan 22, 2021

If this is a bug or not im not 100% certain. I would say it is a bug.

Steps to do:
1) Create a textfield
2) Format it someway
3) Duplicate a custom state for it
4) Empty out the Normal state

And you will notice the textfield in the custom state will loose its formatting.

Video showing it attached...

4 Replies
Judy Nollet

Hi, Math,

Yes, the program gets confused if you "empty out" the Normal state. I assume that's because you're deleting the object that the states and formatting are attached to. 

Try this instead: 

• Create a textbox that only contains a few spaces, and format it as desired.
  • Add a new state, and replace the spaces with the desired text.
Phil Mayor

Instead of a textbox I would use a shape (transparent) and then add text into your state and format it there.

As Judy pioints out you should leave something in the normal state  and a textbox will normally disappear if you remove the text from it.

The other thing I do is use white shapes on a white background and set the text to white in normal. Although that is probably not ideal for accessibility.

Math Notermans

Although in some cases your solution is fine Phil, i prefer not to use it. Mainly because most of the Storyline elements i make will be used in Rise by others. Thus i prefer to  make them completely transparant...meaning no Storyline background behind it... That gives the endusers in Rise the possibility to change the background color for an element at will.