Weird GIF issue in Storyline 360 FIXED

Nov 11, 2016

Hi, I've got a GIF of a walking animation on a layer, this lay appears when a button is pressed and hides when the timeline is finished. I've previewed the GIF outside of SL however no line appears, yet when I insert it as a picture it has a purple outline around the animation whenever it plays in preview. Has anyone came across this yet?

Edit - Fixed, GIF displays purple outline when published in html5, (hence why it also displays in preview) Changed it to flash and outline disappeared.

18 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Member Services, 

I'm not sure what Darren did here, but it could have been publishing with Flash first instead of HTML5.

You can check the end of the URL in Storyline 360 to see if users are viewing Flash (story_flash.html) vs. HTML5 (story_html5.html). 

I'm also not sure if Darren is still subscribed here, as the post is a bit older - but you could always use the "contact me" button on his profile to reach out to him directly! 

Member Services

I guess the bottom line is: why are my GIFs looking so odd in Storyline360? Is this a common issue? When I tried to insert it as a flash movie....it does not show up in the preview. So essentially....what is the solution? Are you just not able to incorporate GIFs into these projects? Cause I can w/o a problem in Powerpoint.

Best Regards,
Member Services

Hi, 

GIFs are supported file types, but if you insert it as a Flash movie you may not see it in preview as that is showing you the HTML5 version.

Can you share an example of what's looking odd in Storyline 360? It would be helpful to see the original .GIF file and your .story file where you've inserted it.

Also, looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email! No worries, this Peek video will show you how to remove it if you'd like! 

Matt Larson

That purple box is the exact issue is one thing I came to seek help on.

I also cannot put a gif with an alpha channel into Storyline without slight white outlines (or purple glows) appearing. It makes putting backgrounds behind my characters of any vibrant color impossible. I have tried higher quality output and not stretching the gif dimensions at all to no avail. The best I can do at the moment is to ensure the color behind them is white or very light colored.

And I can't seem to place some gifs without noticing some color distortions and popping despite once again being from high quality and created with the exact dimensions in mind. 

Any ideas other ideas? 

Hi all, 

Great news!

• If you're using Storyline 360: We just released Update 27. This release includes a fix for the issue where transparent animated gif has a purple dot at the bottom right. To see what this version has to offer, follow these steps to update your software.
  • If you're using Storyline 3: This issue isn't fixed in Storyline 3 just yet, but we promise to keep this discussion updated as soon as new information is available.

If there's anything else I can answer, please let me know. 

Vincent Scoma

Hey Everyone! Another Update here! 

We just released the newest version of Storyline 3, Update 7 this morning! This release includes a fix for the issue where a transparent animated gif had a purple dot at the bottom right. 

The next step is to update Storyline 3  by downloading the latest update here

As always, we are happy to answer any questions you have by posting in this discussion or you can contact our Support Engineers directly.

Katie Riggio

Good morning, Mareliza!

I'd love to look into this with you. A few questions to help us determine next steps:

• What version of Storyline are you using? You can find this detail by clicking on the Help tab, then About Storyline.
  • Does the white border appear on any .gif file or a specific one?
  • Would you be willing to share a troublesome .gif file with us for testing? You can share it privately by uploading it through this secure link.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.