What to watch for converting Storyline 1 course to Storyline 360

Oct 10, 2017

I have an older course created in Storyline 1. It's been running for some years on Articulate Online. With some browsers no longer supporting Flash, and Flash going away, we're thinking of converting it by publishing it in Storyline 360, primarily for the HTML5 output. Already, a small percentage of learners have been experiencing a handful of issues using HTML5-only browsers when viewing this course. Certain drag and drops don't work properly,  and there are a few other problems associated with the course freezing.

Before we undertake this, I wanted to hear from anyone who's done this before. Specifically, are there a number of things to watch out for when converting to SL360?

Things I'm concerned about are:

Calculators: we have a number of calculators in the course. Would we have to re-create these?

Drag and drops: would these publish straightaway, or would we have to re-create?

Animation timing: the course has  a LOT of audio, and onscreen text animates on in time with the audio. Will  this be preserved, or will we have to re-time everything?

Text display: as mentioned, there is a lot of onscreen text, into which we put a lot of care regarding font size, line breaks, widow-and-orphan control, etc. Will these things be preserved in SL360, or should we plan for a lot of work to re-do screens to look as good as they do now?

Are there any other "gotchas" that we ought to be aware of?

Any advice from someone who's already done this will be GREATLY appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Hal,

We've made upgrading from Storyline 1 to Storyline 360 as easy as possible. There are some things that'll be different, and much improved with Storyline 360 as shown here. 

How did you build your calculators? That'll help me point you in the right direction.

For the drag and drops and animations, those should all move over seamlessly. It's always a good idea to spot check them, as with the updates and new features there may be new options to take a look at! 

The text element would be the area I'd pay the most attention too. Although we've done our best to make this as easy as possible, there are somethings to keep in mind such as how we changed text boxes in Storyline 2 (which has carried over into Storyline 3/360). If you've been making manual changes to how things display vs. letting Storyline's built in formatting handle it - always a good idea to check those when using a new version.

Ultimately, I'd say getting started with a trial is your best way to see how it works for you! You can register here. Not to worry - anything you upgrade to Storyline 360 will have a back up copy created so you can always open that in Storyline 1.

Let us know if you need anything else! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.