What we’re doing about Flash (updated 01/16/2020)

Aug 04, 2017

NOTE:  The discussion below is now outdated.  For the most updated information on how the end of Flash affects Articulate apps and courses, please click here.

You may have heard that Adobe is phasing out support for Flash in 2020. We’ve known that Flash has been on its way out for some time. To make sure we’re ready, we’ve been working hard to build tools that’ll fit your needs today and in the future.

We’ve been shifting to HTML5 for several years. That’s why Articulate 360 and Storyline 3 have HTML5-first or HTML5-only publishing options, making it easy for you to create e-learning that relies only on HTML5. You can read a bit more about our shift towards HTML5 here.

For your existing courses, you have a couple of options:

• If you included HTML5 as a part of the published output, you can point to that directly over the Flash version and make sure your users are viewing the course in a supported HTML5 browser. Here’s how.
  • You can update your courses using Articulate 360 or Storyline 3, and publish for HTML5 only.

Articulate 360 is officially Flash-free, so the Flash Player isn’t required to use any Articulate 360 apps.  The same is true for Storyline 3.

Storyline 2 and Studio '13 rely on Flash for authoring.  We recommend that you upgrade to Storyline 3 or Articulate 360 since these applications do not have any Flash dependencies.

UPDATE (01/16/2020): Edited to link to this article.

238 Replies
Daniel  Feerst

Does it propagate personalized information on the certificate/? Please send!

|
|
| |   |   |

| |   |

|
Reply to What we’re doing about Flash (updated 06/12/2019)

Phil Mayor replied:

I insert PDFmake as a web object and then generate a pdf using that. Works fine with The HTML5 on IE. Will upload a test file tomorrow. If it works for you I can send the files.

Sent from my iPhone
|   |

|
| Reply |

|
| View |

|   |   |

|
If you'd like to respond, just reply to this email and we'll post your comment in the E-Learning Heroes community. We’ll post all text in the email, so be sure to remove your email signature or any other personal info.

You received this email because you subscribed to this discussion. Unsubscribe

© 2019 Articulate Global, Inc. All rights reserved.
|
|

|

|

Ryan Brown

@Matthew Bibby wow this is great information thank you so much.

I fully expected this test to return back that I am viewing things in compatibility mode due to some settings being managed by a system administrator.

But when I ran your test in my IE browser and it returned back that 'And due to compatibility mode it behaves like: 11'.

However, when I try to run a basic Storyline 360 file off of the LMS published to either HTML5 only or HTML5/Flash Fallback I end up with a blank screen in the IE window instead of the course content that I can view in the IE window with Flash/HTML5 Fallback or Flash only.

Any thoughts/recommendations? My goal is to have a seamless transition into a post-Flash world, with our library of hundreds of courses that were created with Storyline still able to run in an IE11 browser (because that is our corporate standard).

Lynn Puhr

Something to check – when you run your course do you get an ActiveX prompt to which you must check Yes to proceed. I’ve seen this – and when I publish on the server it goes away. I’m not sure if there is something set on the server that ignores that prompt or not. Something to explore?

[Description: LynnSmall]

Lynn M. Puhr
Senior Global Q&R Instructional Designer
GE Healthcare
T 1 262 548-2322
C 1 262 408-0137
Lynn.Puhr@ge.com
3000 N. Grandview Blvd W-440
Waukesha, WI 53188 United States
Global Quality Support Central<http://supportcentral.ge.com/products/sup

Lynn Puhr

By the way, I too was very cautious at first about switching over to HTML – but my experience has been very good so far with the changes made to 360. Make sure you download the latest greatest and install before you republish. Articulate is making great updates. Flash is going away. Period. Our IT department is planning an earlier than 2020 departure to be able to accommodate it. If your IT department does not, your courses will not work. It may be something that your leadership may have to discuss with IT Leadership. It is going to happen.

It may have a bigger impact than just your training. Something to consider.

It is wise of you to be working proactively. I hope your problems are soon resolved.

Lynn M. Puhr
GE Healthcare
T 1 262 548-2322
C 1 262 408-0137
Lynn.Puhr@ge.com

Ryan Brown

@Lynn Puhr Yes that is an interesting point.

If I publish something I can double click and run the story_html5 file in the output folder in an IE browser but I am always prompted with an 'Allow blocked content' button and it will only run once this button is clicked. This button prompt is not seen once loaded onto the LMS. It just stays at the blank screen.

Is there some setting that needs to be enabled by the IT folks to allow the file to run on the LMS as if this 'Allow blocked content' button was clicked?

Lynn Puhr

I’m afraid I do not know- open this up to the masses to see if anyone else might be aware of the setting?

Lynn M. Puhr
GE Healthcare
T 1 262 548-2322
C 1 262 408-0137
Lynn.Puhr@ge.com

Ryan Brown

@Matthew Bibby thank you so much! I am definitely headed in the right direction with solving this. I published to the LMS and it says it is now running in compatibility mode and behaving like 8.

I guess now my team needs to get with Cornerstone, our LMS vendor, and possibly IT to try to figure this out.

Any suggestions on that front?

Ivor Thynne

Hi Ryan,

This might be nothing but I found that when I uploaded Rise content to Cornerstone the compatibility mode of the LMS (found under General settings), needed to be set to “None”.
It seems the Rise content will not function correctly when the setting is anything other than this.

You might have tried this anyway but it sounded similar so I thought I would mention it.

Regards

Ivor 

Ryan Brown

An update for anybody in similar shoes as me: I used the link from @Matthew Bibby to help isolate that Cornerstone LMS was forcing the file back to an IE8 Compatibility level (only able to run flash content in IE). There is a setting on the General tab of the learning object during the content uploading portion where you can change the 'Compatibility' from the default value 'None' to 'IE10' which will allow IE to run HTML5 content. I tested a file that had audio, video, hyperlinks, SL animations, question objects, and a results slide and all assets worked. Most importantly, IE was able to run something published as HTML5 only.

Mr Brown

Hi there...

Are there any plans to improve animation tools within Storyline, if Flash is being phased out next year? There are certain things that Flash can do (as an "animation only" tool rather than an "e-learning" tool). And coming from old school I find storyline lacking in animation controls. Especially a scrubbable timeline, keyframing, clickable items etc. I would still like to include a high level of interaction because clients sometimes make crazy requests for animation to the level of Pixar or Disney!!! Whilst I would never go that far, I still believe that there are very good uses for Flash (animation only) (or a similar tool) rather than including animated gifs which have limitation in interactions.

Just thought I'd ask...

Thanks 

David Breen

Question about SL360. Apologies if it was answered on another page already.

Currently the only way to set up your course for downloading and viewing offline for tablets (that I know of) is publishing in the Classic Player and turning on the AMP check boxes. Problem with this is it requires Flash.

What is the plan for this when 2020 rolls around? Is this feature being phased out? Is it being updated so Flash is gone?

When looking for products to use for development, this was one of the big reasons our team chose Storyline. I'm hoping it will also be updated and working when Flash is gone?

Thanks,

Dave

Lori Nesbit

We have a big program developed in Storyline 360  and it is absolutely critical that the content can be downloaded onto tablets and used without internet. We need this functionality to work when Flash is gone. We are publishing in HTML5 with Flash back up now as no straight HTML5 option is available presently. Will these work when Flash is gone?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Alexandra,

Storyline 2 requires Flash to be installed on the authoring computer. 

Upgrading to Storyline 3 would allow you to take advantage of the latest features, especially the option to publish for HTML5 only. As more browsers have prevented Flash from running automatically or being enabled, this would ensure your learners can continue accessing content in all the major browsers. Storyline 2 only supports the HTML5 content in Chrome on Windows and Safari on a Mac. If you have questions on upgrading our Sales team is happy to walk you through it. 

We'll update this discussion as we have more details on the phase-out of Flash from the current Articulate tools (Articulate 360 and Storyline 3).

David Hunt

Hi,

I need some help on this topic.  I have several courses buiult in Storyline 2 and from what I have read by end of this year (2019) they will not run on any browsewr as Flash is decomissioned. My question is that I can publish with the HTML5 option, so does this mean as long as I do that they will still work or do I have to take more steps like deleting the flash.swf file from the publish or direct some how to the HTML5 file?

Will this then work on IE/Edge or is the only option to upgrade them all to 360?

I also have some in Publisher 13 but note there is also the option to publish as html5; would this then work like above or would these also need updateg to 360?

Thanks

David

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.