YouTube Videos in Storyline stopped working - Help please!

May 19, 2017

Hi, 

Something odd happened today. The videos within my Storyline course, stopped playing, when publishing. I tested the link and it works. I know it is not the LMS, as I tested in SCORM cloud.

Can someone point me in the right direction, as I am lost...  I am attaching the .story file...

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Steve

12 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hey Steve!

I just published your course here. Does the issue seem resolved on your end as well? (Note: I did turn the menu on for faster jumping to slides)

YouTube videos can go missing from published courses if your LMS is using secure https and your videos are using standard http. The good news is it's easy to fix. See this article for details.

Leslie McKerchie

Hey Mark - I apologize for not seeing your question - I thought you were sharing your experience with your LMS and not actually inquiring. Totally my oversight.

I agree with you, if you are unable to recreate the issue in SCORM Cloud, I'd follow up with your LMS team to better understand.

Hopefully they will be able to assist you or even someone in the community familiar with Healthstream may be able. If you don't hear something soon in this thread, feel free to start a new thread with Healthstream and Youtube in the title so that applicable people will see it :)

Mark Matson

So I reached out and my LMS (Healthstream) determined that one of the HTML files in the published output needed "<!DOCTYPE html> added to the "index_lms" file. I noticed that there are two HTML files, one called index_html and one index_lms_html5.

index_lms_html5 has the necessary line, but it seems the LMS is reading the other one and the videos still don't work. Wondering how I can get the published content to contain the above.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Mark! 

Thanks for popping back in and sharing your findings. That is certainly appreciated and could help someone in the future.

Modifying the published output is not an action that I can support, but you should be able to add what you need by opening up the the file in Notepad and adding what you need for your LMS prior to zipping and uploading this content to your LMS.

Diane Anderson

HI Mark,

I was experiencing exactly the same thing you were experiencing. I also use HealthStream LMS.

I reported the same thing a few weeks ago and I just got a response back with a fix that works. However, it is a little different than your fix. (Yours sounds much simpler.)

My fix was to add this snippet into the index_lms file (I am assuming the .html version)

<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=Edge"/>

Meanwhile, I created a workaround which was to put the URL that I used in the webobject into the Resources section of the course. When they click on a link in the Resources section, the LMS appears to release its hold on the URL and just opens in a standalone window.

I created a message under the window where the video would play (it played fine in Chrome but not IE, which is our standard browser) that stated, "If the video does not play, click the Resources section and launch from the link." (or something to that extent).

The course I created was just 2 slides (in Articulate/powerpoint as opposed to Storyline). It was merely to introduce the video so we could track within HealthStream that the student viewed the video. Then, answer questions within HealthStream about the video.

It seems to me that Articulate should investigate changes in how the index_lms file is generated.

Diane Anderson

Hi Mark,

I was experiencing exactly the same thing you were experiencing. I also use HealthStream LMS.
I reported the same thing a few weeks ago to HealthStream and I just got a response back with a fix that works. However, it is a little different than your fix. (Yours sounds much simpler.)
My fix was to add this snippet into the index_lms file (I am assuming the .html version)
<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=Edge"/>

Meanwhile, I created a workaround which was to put the URL that I used in the webobject into the Resources section of the course. When they click on a link in the Resources section, the LMS appears to release its hold on the URL and just opens in a standalone window.
I created a message under the window where the video would play (it played fine in Chrome but not IE, which is our standard browser) that stated, "If the video does not play, click the Resources section and launch from the link." (or something to that extent).
The course I created was just 2 slides (in Articulate/powerpoint as opposed to Storyline). It was merely to track within HealthStream that the student viewed the video. Then, answer questions within HealthStream about the video.
It seems to me that Articulate should investigate changes in how the index_lms file is generated.

Crystal Horn

Hi Diane.  Thanks for sharing your experience and the solution that Healthstream gave you.  It sounds like you are using Presenter...could you let me know what version?  You can go to your Help and Support options on the Articulate ribbon and click on About Presenter.

Mark, if you can share the version of Storyline you're using (Help > About Storyline), I'd appreciate it as well!

Most LMSs won't require that string of code, as you can see from testing in different environments.  But if this is causing issues, we'll want to track the impact.  I'm going to document your experiences so we can keep our eye on it.

In the meantime, if you are using Articulate 360 or Storyline 3, you can publish HTML5-only output, and your content should play as expected.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.