zoom function

Jul 11, 2014

Is there a zoom function in AS that students can use?

I mean that they can click on a magnifying glass and then move the zoomed function over a picture?

16 Replies
Michel Koster

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that function.

My problem is that I made an image by cutting and pasting three images to one and group them. On a group this doesn't work.

And it's also not possible to combine the zoomed picture with interactions. Or is it?

But I am glad to have learned of this function. I can probably use it somewhere else.

Greg Faust

Short answer: No.

Here are some things you CAN do:

1) The Flash player has a built-in zoom feature; tell your learners that they can right-click where they want to zoom, then select "zoom in" on the context menu. They can reposition the zoom by zooming out and zooming back in, but they won't be able to drag the zoom around.

2) The Zoom Picture function is a nice quick-but-limited option. (Select a picture; on the Format tab, select Zoom Picture.

3) With states and triggers you can create a more versatile version of Zoom Picture.

4) There's Insert-> Zoom Region. The learner can't drag it around. Of course, under the hood, the zoom region has size and position numbers associated with it; however, I haven't heard of anyone figuring out how to hack these numbers based on learner input.

_ _

You could create a hotspot that triggers an enlarged state of each image at once to create your own zoom effect.

There is a tutorial here, although for one graphic can just as well be accomplished with the three you have:

http://community.articulate.com/blogs/enders/archive/2013/09/04/create-your-own-zoom-picture-effect-in-articulate-storyline.aspx

Greg Faust

Michel Koster said:

My problem is that I made an image by cutting and pasting three images to one and group them. On a group this doesn't work.

And it's also not possible to combine the zoomed picture with interactions. Or is it?.

That sounds like a simple Zoom Region might work (find Zoom Region under the Insert tab up top).

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Michel Koster said:

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that function.

And it's also not possible to combine the zoomed picture with interactions. Or is it?

But I am glad to have learned of this function. I can probably use it somewhere else.

Hi Michel,

One way around that would be to select the 3 images and save as a .png file (you could try saving out the group, but SL usually doesn't grab all the objects in a group)

Then bring that group in, size it down as desired on the slide, and use the zoom picture feature that Ryan suggested.

So many options!

Alisa Peterson

Thank you for helping me with this technical issue on the Zoom feature. It
seems that it doesn't work on certain photo file sizes. I have a .png photo
that is 134px x 179px and it will zoom but the zoom is not very large. Then
I have another .png photo that is 261px x 348px and it does not zoom at all.
Is there a certain size restriction on certain photo file types? I notice
that this happens with my .jpg photos as well. I can provide screen shots
if this will help.

Thank you!

Alisa Peterson | Instructional Designer

www.StormwaterONE.com

290 Pratt Street, Unit 10

Meriden, CT 06450

T 877-257-9777 O (847-201-1604) C (847-738-1605)

APeterson@StormwaterONE.com

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Alisa,

First, I wanted to let you know that replying via email includes your signature here in the post and you're welcome to edit that element and remove it if you wish.

In regards to the image size, the zoom elements the overall size/amount it will zoom is dependent on your image and it will keep the same proportions, and it's also dependent on your overall story size. If you would like to share the .story file that has this set up we're happy to take a look at what's happening to help determine if this is expected behavior, file specific or an issue we need to share with our Quality Assurance team. You can attach the .story file here.

Alisa Peterson

Thank you for your help with assessing the zoom feature that is not working.
I attached a Storyline file of several slides with both .jpg and .png
photos. Here's the assessment of each slide:

* 1.1 - Since the zoom feature did not work on the .jpg photo, I
added a layer to enlarge the photo. You will notice that the Zoom feature
was enabled, but it did not work. You can delete the layer and you will see
that it does not work in Preview mode.

* 1.2 - There are 3 photos that zoom at different sizes. Why is that?
The top photo zooms to fit the entire screen but the bottom two photos only
zoom a little larger. Also, they photo filenames display as "Picture 10"
and "Picture 10 1" and "Picture 10 2" instead of the actual filename which
are .png files.

* 1.3 - The Zoom feature on the.png photo only enlarges slightly.
Why?

* 1.4 - The Zoom feature on the .png photo does not enlarge at all.
How can I get this to work?

* 1.5 - The Zoom feature on the .jpg photo works great!

Alisa

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Alisa,

Thanks for sharing the .story file here.

The location of the "zoomed" version of the image depends on the location of the smaller image on the slide. The image that you see when the smaller version is zoomed is the original, larger version of the image. If you'd like to adjust the size of the image that's shown, you'll need to adjust the size of the original image, if that makes sense.

The zoom will work only if you've resized the image on your slide to be smaller than the original — for example, if you've inserted a 500x500 pixel image and then resized it to be 250x250, the zoom icon will allow learners to see zoom the image to its original 500x500 size. So, if the full-sized image is too large or covering your player elements, you could just resize the original image to the desired size and then place it on the slide and add the zoom effect. 

So, one method you could try is inserting the image you'd like to modify and adjusting it to the desired size. Right-click on the image and choose "Save as picture...". Save the new version of the image, then remove the original. Insert the new version of the image and apply the zoom feature to it. Now, it should show up for the new and preferred size.

In regards to the zoom items that didn't work, I saw that on one of your photos and was curious if that photo was at it's normal/original size? Also, you'll want to confirm that you're working on local project files as mentioned here. 

If you're looking for something more custom, I did want to point you to a couple of other threads (here and here) that offer beautiful zoom effects. I hope that this helps.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.