How to start again with only unanswered questions and wrong questions in a Quiz?

May 31, 2018

Hi there,

I am new to SL 3 and am awesome about using it. But of course I have to learn much. Therefore my questions I havent found guidance to.

As I have set up a Excel Import spreadsheet with 350 multiple choice questions and the Import is working Im now asking myself how to solve these requirements:

Learner should have something like "store my passed, failed and open questions". For instance if he has been through 100 questions, after returning he should have the possibility to either repeat these 100 already learned questions or to continue with the next 250.

Learner should be introduced the wrong answered questions again and again.

Are there parameters to define how often these are repeated or to influence Repetition?

Do you have advice to design a quiz with so many questions? Always 1 of 3 answers is correct.

Wish you a pleasant Weekend.

Thorsten

17 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Thorsten!

By default, when learner reopen the quiz they will be asked whether they want to resume (pick up where they left off) or start over. So you don't have to do anything to make that work! :)

My only advice about designing a quiz with so many questions (aside from breaking it up into multiple quizzes!) would be to make sure learners are able to see their progress so they don't get discouraged.

Thorsten H.

Hello Allison,

thanks for the tip. 

So I would create different scenes. I understand.

But is it in general possible to let repeat SL questions with certain conditions? I am thinking of that learner could choose. 1.) Repeat unanswered questions 2.) Repeat wrong answered questions 

Is that possible?

Regards,

Thorsten

Allison LaMotte

I'm not sure this is something you could achieve automatically when they come back to the course.

However, You could create a results slide that allows learners to go back and repeat the incorrect questions. You would have to add use variables on the incorrect feedback layers to achieve this.

Also, by default learners are required to complete all the questions, so there shouldn't be any unanswered questions.

Thorsten H.

Thanks a lot.

What I mean with "unanswered" is when 55 questions have to be answered and the learner has answered 35 questions (5 had been wrong answered, 30 correct answered, 20 are left unanswered) and then he quits the course and comes back the next day he should get offered a startingpage.

This page offers him:

1.) start allover again (55 questions are in front of him)

2.) start with all wrong answers (the 5 wrong questions are in front of him, after these the remaining 20 questions would follow)

3.) start with unanswered questions (20 questions are in front of him)

I had that in an app, and it was great for myself. Because sometimes I liked been asked new questions without getting asked the still wrong answered ones. And sometimes I was keen on getting these damn ;) wrong answered questions done.

Joanne Chen

Hi Thorsten,

I made a demo with five questions. Users will have max 3 questions each time. It works well when clicking the retry button.  I set the course to be always resume , so it should be ok when they quit the course and come back to retake it. But I am not sure if it works as expected in LMS.

Anyway, take a look to see if this is what you expected.

Thorsten H.

Hi there,

I am back from an absence. Sorry for my late reply.

I thank you for your demo. It is that I am looking for I think.

The incorrect answers are working well.

How can I try the "Start with unanswered answers."? Because I can not quit the demo and have chance of getting to the start menu unless I have answered all first 3 questions. Perhaps you could add a "Back to start menu"-button?

I have slightly edited my posting about my wishes. Perhaps its more clearer.

I am searching for something like a possibility like a variable or something to store all wrong answered questions, not yet answered questions and correct answered questions. How can I do this?

Cheers,
Thorsten

Joanne Chen

Hi Thorsten,

You can try the "Start with unanswered answers" by clicking 'Retry' BTN from the result slide. It will bring you back to the start menu so you can try all three conditions.

Like what I said, I am not sure if it works as expected in LMS. So you can test it in your LMS with the attached story file, and please let me know how it works after testing in LMS.

Thorsten H.

Hello Joanne,

it took me some time to understand:

Triggers:
OnlyNewQuestion = Right, if user clicks Button Unanswered Questions
QFirsttime = False, when user clicks Button Submit
QPassed = Right, if Question is answered correct 

Conditions of switching to next slide immediatelly:
QPassed = Right

Conditions of switching to next slide by user click :
QPassed = Right
OnlyNewQuestion = Right
QFirsttime = False

But I dont understand the menu slide 1.1 . Why button "start allover again" and "start with all wrong answers" have just the same trigger, jumping to next slide. Without any conditions like a predefined variable. Why do both buttons then lead to a different slide? Could you explain the mechanism?

Best regards,

Thorsten

Thorsten H.

Dear Joanne,

I thank you so much for your brilliant work. It took me 2 weeks to get into it.

To understand your work it helped me to note the whole variable logic and the interdependencies down.

Here is the comprehensive description of how to show unanswered questions and wrong answered questions in a quiz.

### Triggers on all slides ###
Triggers of the menu slide:
OnlyNewQuestion = Right, if user clicks Button "start with all unanswered questions"
QFirsttime = False, when user clicks Button Submit

Triggers of the Question-Slides:

1st Trigger to switch to next slide:
QPassed = Right

2st Trigger to switch to next slide:
OnlyNewQuestion = Right
QFirsttime = False

Trigger to mark correct answered questions:
QPassed = Right

### Questions and their variables ###
If a question is unanswered the variables are:
OnlyNewQuestion = False (default setting)
QPassed = False (default setting)
QFirsttime = Right (default setting)

If a question is answered wrong the variables are:
QFirsttime = False

If a question is answered correct the variables are:
QPassed = Right
QFirsttime = False

### Menu Slide ###

### Workflow of "Start all over again" ###
Very easy, no variable stuff. If the menu button "Start all over again" is clicked the quiz will just start again with clean states and variables.

### Workflow of "start with all wrong questions" ###
If the menu button "start with all wrong questions" is clicked the variables are:

The first trigger of the questionslide would always check that QPassed = Right to switch to next slide. This would be applicable for all correct answered questions. So then it would be switched to next slide. For all wrong answered or unanswered questions it would be not applicable and the next trigger would be checked. The next trigger would check OnlyNewQuestion = Right AND QFirsttime = False to switch to next slide. This would be applicable for all questions that have been clicked by the submit-button and that at the same time have also got the variable OnlyNewQuestion = Right from the prior click on the menubutton "start with all unanswered questions". So here this second variable wouldnt be set to "Right", because we came via the menubutton "start with all wrong questions". Therefore the slide won`t be switched to next slide and here we have....our first wrong question.

### Workflow of "start with all unanswered questions" ###
If the menu button "start with all unanswered questions" is clicked the variables are:

OnlyNewQuestion = Right

The first trigger of the questionslide would always check that QPassed = Right to switch to next slide. This would be applicable for all correct answered questions. So then it would be switched to next slide. For all wrong answered or unanswered questions it would be not applicable and the next trigger would be checked. The next trigger would check OnlyNewQuestion = Right AND QFirsttime = False to switch to next slide. This would be applicable for all questions that have been clicked by the submit-button and therefore indeed be answered. So then the slide would switch to the next slide. This repeats again as long as we get a slide on which the variable is QFirsttime = Right. These would be only slides where the submit button havent been clicked so far, so that would be indeed unanswered questions.

Thank you so much for that. You are great!

In case I have written something wrong please correct me i you like ;)

Thorsten

Stephanie Long

Can you tell me how to do this?

"However, You could create a results slide that allows learners to go back and repeat the incorrect questions. You would have to add use variables on the incorrect feedback layers to achieve this."

When the users retry the quiz it would be nice if they only see the questions they answered incorrectly and be able to answer only those questions they got wrong in order to pass the quiz.  I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!!

Thorsten H.
Thorsten Holt

## Workflow of "start with all wrong questions" ###

Hi Stephanie,

you can achieve this by reading the above mentioned chapter:

### Workflow of "start with all wrong questions" ###
If the menu button "start with all wrong questions" is clicked the variables are:

The first trigger of the questionslide would always check that QPassed = Right to switch to next slide. This would be applicable for all correct answered questions. So then it would be switched to next slide. For all wrong answered or unanswered questions it would be not applicable and the next trigger would be checked. The next trigger would check OnlyNewQuestion = Right AND QFirsttime = False to switch to next slide. This would be applicable for all questions that have been clicked by the submit-button and that at the same time have also got the variable OnlyNewQuestion = Right from the prior click on the menubutton "start with all unanswered questions". So here this second variable wouldnt be set to "Right", because we came via the menubutton "start with all wrong questions". Therefore the slide won`t be switched to next slide and here we have....our first wrong question.

So you have to create these 3 global variables, to let it work. 

Kind regards,

Thorsten

Thorsten H.

I am totally stuck. Can anybody help?

I have 3 scenarios and all have the same unwanted result. All questions I skipped through.

Problem 1

Scenario: I answered question 1 and 2 correct, third question I answered wrong. Then I click the button Main Menu on the slide 3 and I am back in the menu slide. Then I click button Unanswered Questions.
Problem: Unfortunately all slides are skipped through quickly till the last end-slide. But actually the slide 4 had to be shown, because this is the first unanswered question.

Problem 2

Scenario: Answering all questions and coming to the end-slide and clicking the button Main Menu.
Problem: Now even the Menu-slide is skipped and also again all question-slides are quickly skipped through till the last end-slide.#

Problem 3

Scenario: In the Main Menu I click All unanswered questions and on the first questions slide I choose any answer, even correct or wrong answer.
Problem: All slides are skipped through quickly till the last end-slide. Actually I should visit the slide 2 to answer that.

Joanne Chen

Hi Thorsten,

Problem 1: In the Master slide, you set a trigger to jump to next slide when variables "OnlyNewQuestion" equal to true. That's the reason it skips through quickly till the end slide.  

Problem 2: I don't have the same problem here, It came back to main slide as expected. But if you fix the first problem you may fix this problem as well. 

Problem 3: I think it's the same problem as problem 1.

There are also something I would like to remind you.

1. In your file, there are two question 2, in slide 2&4 and that causes confusion. 
  2. In your master slide, there are triggers related to two variables, "QFirstTime" and "QPassed", I don't see why you need them. They will cause problems if you don't necessary need them.  
  3. I saw you use variable "CountQuestions", it will easily cause problems if you do not reset the number when starting the main slide. I will suggest using a question bank instead of CountQuestions if you like a certain quantity questions show each time.

Thorsten H.

Hi Joanne,

absolutely great your input. I have corrected all topics you mentioned. I didn´t realize it that the problem have been the triggers in the layouts and slide master.

So, I went into another challenge but have solved it on my own. I forgot to set the variable "OnlyNewQuestion" equal to false on the menu slide. Because so it was skipped again when the variable was set to "True" after a click on "unanswered questions".
Now its added. Great.

So I only have the problem not being able to change slide properties once for all slides. But this is discussed in another thread.

Thanks so much so far, you are an really expert to learn from.

Thorsten

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.