508 Compliance Question...

Feb 14, 2013

Quick (?) question...

My understanding of 508 compliance from a US perspective is that it is only mandatory to e.g. provide voiceover and textual versions etc. if the learners are in the public sector, and that the course is a mandatory work requirement.

Is that the case legally?

I was under the impression that for private sector companies and learners, (not getting into the "rights" and "wrongs" of it...), people could produce courses just as they pleased, offering whatever options they wanted to.

I would appreciate confirmation and thoughts, as need to keep up to date/lagal with these things.

Thanks

Bruce

2 Replies
Michael Heckman

Before I answer, a quick disclaimer: This is NOT legal advice. If you need legal help on a specific matter, consult with an attorney who knows the law in your jurisdiction.  Now having said that...

...Our company produces eLearning almost exclusively for Federal agencies and state governments. We also produce eLearning courses on how to make various documents 508-compliant.  Interpretations of the requirements can vary from agency to agency.

Section 508 is not about requirements for learners in the public sector-- it's about requirements for what the government puts on its websites or makes available electronically. It doesn't matter whether the learner works in the public sector. 

Generally speaking, a Federal agency that creates an eLearning course must make that course accessible and compliant. This entails MUCH more than providing a voice over and text version: It requires having alternate text for graphics, for example. It prohibits advancing screens or playing videos that the user cannot control. It requires adequate visual contrast in text. It prohibits dependency on certain mouse movement without providing keyboard equivalents (such as drag & drop). I could go on, but there's quite a bit about this on many government sites.

Section 508 only applies to the government. If you are not producing courses for distribution by the government or funded by the government, you probably need not delve into the complex world of 508.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.