Freelancers: How'd you pick your company name?

Nov 03, 2014

Hey folks!

Talked to a few folks last week @DevLearn who were interested in starting their own consulting company. One question that came up a couple times was around choosing a company name.

Do you go with your personal name or a business name? Do you have a preference? How'd you come up with your name?

Awesome

129 Replies
Tegid Griffiths

My wife came up with the name for my company. She used my first name Tegid and the word ideas, so the company name is tegIdeas. We made the 't' lowercase and the 'I' for ideas in uppercase as we are about creativity and idea generation.

my webpage is www.tegideas.com but I also bought the domain names for tegtalks.com and tedideas.com based on suggestions from a local media group that meet each month.

Paul S.

Hafton - One day I was meeting with a potential client and he asked, "What can you do for me?" I told him that I could get him half a ton more production per hour than was currently being produced. Both being Southern folk he said, "Haf ton, huh"? Yes I said. Haf ton....

Hafton and Hafton Systems® were born that day

Paul

Chris Wirick

Old thread but great topic. Seems the biggest challenge these days is not coming up with a creative company name but coming up with a creative company name for which the web domain isn't already being 1) used or 2) squatted upon. :(

It never fails to amaze me when I find domains already registered (and generally unused) for names that seemed so completely unique or unusual. I really wish the Powers That Be would clamp down on domain squatting.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.