Vancouver Island/Victoria User Group

May 07, 2015

I had also coordinated our Vancouver Island group (I live half way in between). These were the topics that came up:

Tech related:

• Audio
  • Video
  • Animation
  • Javascript
  • More on Tin Can API

Workflow related:

• freelance business admin
  • work practices (working from home - how to manage your day)

If you are interested in getting together sometime in June, respond in this thread.  

123 Replies
Holly MacDonald

OK group - I've proposed Tuesday, June 16th as the next possible date for a get together, but need a location. Here's some details:

Time: 4:30 - 7:00

A space where we can share projects, ask questions and otherwise talk, so a quiet room is better than a pub. Internet, projector and power bars are all lovely, but not really required. We are not a large group, so space to accommodate 12.

Anyone got suggestions?

(BTW thanks Andrew Downes for your offer for help - if you are ever in the neighbourhood, let us know!)

Holly MacDonald

Update - we have a location - Reliable Controls, at 120 Hallowell Road. There is plenty of parking on the street or at Admirals Walk shopping Centre.  (and the Moka House is there if you want to grab coffee or a snack on your way.)

You have to buzz in at the gate at the bottom of the stairs, and then again at the top of the stairs.  :)

Since this is someone's office, please RSVP to tkbell@gmail.com so we know how many are coming.

Holly MacDonald

(apologies if this posts twice - I wrote something like this, but I don't think I posted)

Hi everyone - it was great to see most of you last night. Thanks to Terry, Bryan and Alex for hosting (and providing snacks). Always fun to share projects, challenges and inspirations. As mentioned for the next meet-up I think it would be fun to do a design jam. I imagine I'll post here a suggested challenge/idea and we can either:

work on it ahead of time and showcase with the group - both your end product and some of the learnings along the way 

OR

work on it in (solo, partners or groups) DURING the meet-up

Let me know what you think. We could probably use a ELH challenge, or if someone has a design challenge and wants to get some crowd-sourced options that'd work too.

I am planning on going to the Vancouver session, so a meeting in October would suit me better. 

Holly

Jim Arbon

Hello!

What a great meetup that was. I really enjoyed seeing the other, non-super-techie side to e-learning. It's really good to see all these different perspectives, and also to learn that it's not all about boring corporate nonsense. It's also good to hear of the trials and tribulations that others encounter.

If anyone would like to know more about what TinCan / xAPI can actually be used for, I'd recommend checking out Brightwave's website. Before I left they launched tessello which is their own implementation of TinCan. There's a nice cheesy vid here: http://www.brightwave.co.uk/tessello/index.html Basically they see it as a way to incorporate all these informal learnings into someone's learning record, and they've made a very social side to it with sharing and commenting etc.

The design jam sounds like a good idea to me too. It would be interesting to see different paths taken to fix the same problem.

Finally, thanks to everyone who made the meetup possible and was instrumental in organising. That's a real nice office you have Terry! :)

Holly MacDonald

Hi Ryan - nothing on the books yet, mostly because I haven't organized anything due to the Sept 23/24 event in Vancouver. I don't know that I can get to Victoria before then. I do need to organize a day there to connect with some folks ... what does the week of September 28th or October 5th look like for the group? 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.