Best practices for developing a course for mobile and desktop/tablet

May 21, 2015

Hi all,

Has anyone ever developed 2 courses alongside each other?

So for example I have a client that would like to have a course made which runs on mobiles, tablets and desktops. I have made courses previously which run and scale fine on tablets and desktops but as soon as it runs on a mobile device it is understandably unusable.

The only solution I have for this would be to develop alongside each other, two versions of the same course, one for mobile and one for desktop and tablet. Obviously this would increase development time but I can't think of a better way of achieving this unless Articulate became responsive (I hope it will soon!)

Has anyone else had the same issue in the past? and how did you go about it?

Thanks

Phil

1 Reply
Nicole Legault

Hi there Phil!

Thanks for posting your question here in the forums! :)

As an instructional designer I try to always design and develop the course to work specifically with the intended device that will be used to view it. That way, you can test with the right device and in the right environment, throughout the entire design and development process, instead of just uploading the course once at the end to make sure everything works. In the age of mobile development in particular, testing needs to be done A LOT and throughout the entire dev process.

I would also want to ask my clients... does it make sense to deliver the exact same course to a mobile phone as to a tablet or desktop? I've rarely seen instances where it makes sense to have the exact course for these various devices... typically,  mobile devices are used more for performance support and quick on-the-go pieces of information, versus a tablet or desktop which is a more deep and immersive learning experience. But often customers and clients don't understand this (they aren't typically instructional designers, after all!) so it's a part of our job to help educate them about these facts. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.