Book/Blog Idea: Helping Former Teachers Transition to Instructional Designers

May 14, 2015

Hi all! I just had a spark of an idea, and wanted to run it past the community.

I'm getting ready to transition to a new job, and I've been reflecting on what I've learned in each job I've had. This brought me to reflect on the transition I made from classroom teacher to instructional designer some five years ago. There's been a lot I've had to learn about adult learners, distance learning, etc., simply by doing the job of instructional designer. But so much of what I learned in my years as a classroom teacher remains useful. I'm wondering, as more and more teachers leave the classroom, if it wouldn't be helpful (and, selfishly, potentially profitable), to write a book or a series of articles on how someone might transition from a teacher to an instructional designer (apart from going back to school, which I did not do).

Thoughts? Might there be a market for such a venture? I don't necessarily want to encourage teachers to quit their jobs and become instructional designers, but I also think a lot of teachers remain in the profession because they feel like they can't do anything else.

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts.

1 Reply

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.