Can you speed up the player in Articulate 360?

Jun 15, 2017

I don't think this has been possible before, but can a user speed up the audio on the player in 360?

Pinned Reply
Luciana Piazza

Hello Everyone!

I'm happy to share that we have released Storyline 360 version 72 (Build 3.72.29654.0).

Included in this release is a new feature where you can let learners explore at their own pace by choosing a course playback speed between 0.25x and 2x.

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let us know if you have any questions by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Have a great day!

83 Replies
joe Najera

I agree that this would be a great and welcome option in Studio and Storyline. Nearly all modern online video players all the viewer to adjust the playback speed. In most cases, the speed changes, but the pitch stays the same. Adjusting the speed would also need to proportionally effect any animations or other movement on screen.

Slower can work better for learners who are non-native English speakers or when the speaker has a strong accent. Faster is great when the speaker is a little slow to keep attention.

I'll be submitting a feature request. 

Joe

Ryan Hamilton

I'd also like to throw my hat into the ring on this issue, to follow development progress on it and weigh in on it.

I represent the engineering team at a premier educational platform for medical professionals, and our customers are clamoring for a way to play audio/video at different speeds, and also have the option to toggle between manual slide navigation and autoplay.

Articulate working this into its product roadmap would be more than welcomed and appreciated by its direct and indirect customers alike.

Cheers to the Articulate engineering team who is able to deliver this highly demanded feature enhancement.

Great product, btw!

Mark Ramsey

I've got some JavaScript code that will speed up and slow down audio playback in HTML5. I use a SL embedded variable reference ("playbackSpeed") to show on screen the playback speed. You can put these JS code bits on buttons and test it out:

//slow down

var player = GetPlayer();
var SLplaybackSpeed = player.GetVar("playbackSpeed");

if (SLplaybackSpeed>0.5) {
SLplaybackSpeed -= 0.25;
}
var myAudio = $("audio");
myAudio[0].playbackRate = SLplaybackSpeed;

player.SetVar("playbackSpeed",SLplaybackSpeed);

// speed up 

var player = GetPlayer();

var SLplaybackSpeed = player.GetVar("playbackSpeed");

if (SLplaybackSpeed<2.00) {
SLplaybackSpeed += 0.25;
}

myAudio[0].playbackRate = SLplaybackSpeed;

player.SetVar("playbackSpeed",SLplaybackSpeed);

//

To control video, just replace the 

with 

var myVide = $("video");

What I'd like to see in tandem with this is to control timeline playback speed. Haven't cracked that one yet. Anyone have any ideas? 

Mark Ramsey

First, I should have named the variable "myVideo". Sorry about that.

I think you just replace all instances of "myAudio" with "myVideo" in
the code provided, and then make sure there is a video on your slide.

I haven't checked this in awhile so I'm not up on it. I know that
Articulate decided to take out jQuery references, so this might affect
what I was trying to do here.

-Mark

Don Muske

Adding to this list, I would also like to see this feature. People absorb (and pay attention) at different speeds, and, even if the audio changes in sound many users will not care. We put in triggers that prevent users from bypassing information for good reason, but we also want them awake and interested!

Allison LaMotte

Interesting! Thanks for sharing that insight, Mark. We've added this as a feature request but don't have any updates on whether or not it'll be added to our roadmap. That being said, you're now subscribed to this conversation which means if we have any updates to share, you’ll automatically be notified.

Aptive Training

There are a bunch of requests and threads for this feature going back as far as seven years. And as far as I can tell Storyline (which usually excels in everything else) is one of the only major authoring/learning tools without this option. Youtube, Audible, Vimeo, Linkedin Learning, and EVEN Captivate let you do this. As well as most LMS' built-in authoring tools... Is there any update on this request? I don't want to move to other authoring tools but this is a feature that our audiences expect in 2020.

Graham Grether

I'd like to add to this from the perspective of the broadcast techs whom I'm creating technical training modules for - several of them have asked if I could make the ability to speed up the timeline available in my modules.

They tell me that they frequently use YouTube clips to learn about "stuff" and they use it as follows:

• They get used to the presenter's style and voice at 1X  speed initially
  • They speed up to 1.5X for a short while to adjust their attention
  • They speed up to 2X speed for most of the clip once they've adjusted to 1.5X and continue at that speed for the remainder
  • If they find they miss something they rewind and replay at 1X or 1.5X and then continue at 2X

I have actually made quite an effort (as a quick-speaking Kiwi) to slow down my narration and I use Animation to introduce each paragraph of text linked to my recorded delivery, and I've been at pains to ensure that learners can assimilate the speech and the text, but it seems that this doesn't suit everyone and some (perhaps more who haven't spoken to me yet) would really like the ability to control delivery speed in order to get through the simple / basic material quicker, yet concentrate on the more complex material at 1X speed.

I think this would be a very worthwhile feature to add to Storyline if it's feasible.

Thankyou!

Math Notermans

I do the exact same thing with most videos i see online ( except for Netflix ;-) So i do think better control of audio, video and the Storyline timeline is needed. In fact as Articulate updated to GSAP 3.5.1 and im almost 100% sure they use GSAP code behind the scenes for all animation in Storyline ( suspecting they use GSAP timelines for the Storyline timeline ) it shouldnot be difficult to give users the possibilities GSAP timelines have. Thus speeding up and slowing down complete Storyline timelines.

Here you find the GSAP timeline documentation.
https://greensock.com/docs/v3/GSAP/Timeline

This GSAP parameter speeds down any given timeline to 0.1% of normal.
gsap.to(myStorylineTimeline, {duration:2,timeScale:0.1, ease:power1.easeIn});

This line of code sets it to normal speed.
gsap.to(myStorylineTimeline, {duration:2,timeScale:1, ease:power1.easeIn});

And now we speed it up 4 times as fast...
gsap.to(myStorylineTimeline, {duration:2,timeScale:4, ease:power1.easeIn});

Only thing we need to know, is how to access Storyline's internal timelines.