Chatbots or voice to speech narration for soft skill training in Storyline 360

Feb 02, 2018

Hello community!

For awhile now, I've had a goal of building a realistic training/simulation for the field staff I work with to refine their communication and interviewing skills. In past courses, I've set up interactions with different dialogue box options that have simple branching or feedback information associated with them.  For example, in a course on Effective Feedback, I created a pick one interaction that has a conversation prompt which is more likely to start a dialogue ("I observed this. What are your thoughts on it?") and one that probably wouldn't go as well ("That was stupid. What were you thinking?"). The feedback slides provide the rationale as to why one prompt would probably be more effective than the other one. It is very simple but gets the point across, and doesn't include any branching beyond that step. 

However, I'd like to take this up a level (or two, three, etc.) and have been thinking about how AI or chatbots could be incorporated. Alternatively, it just came to mind that I could possibly build a more realistic interaction using the text to speech feature now available in Storyline 360.

I've spoken with a few external vendors, who would integrate with our LMS, and what I like about working with them is that they assist with building out branching, which can get a little cumbersome for longer interactions. Also, for continual performance support and coaching, we would need something outside a course in our LMS- but that's separate from a soft skills course. However, there is also a higher cost associated with this.

Has anyone used chatbots, AI, or anything similar for soft skills training? Have you linked to anything from your storyline course? Or used the voice to speech in Storyline to build more realistic interactions? I'm just starting to dip my toes into this and would love to hear what others think or created. 

5 Replies
Trina Rimmer

Hi Cassandra! What a cool use of tech! I'm hoping you'll share more about this project as you refine the idea.

In the meantime, I don't personally know of any examples of chatbots being integrated with Storyline for this purpose, but I do know a few other folks in the community are exploring this idea. For instance, this discussion has some interesting ideas and links you might want to explore.

Best wishes on your project!

Dave Goodman

Hi Cassandra - we are in the design and research phase for the same issue. We think that we will be developing our course starting in early March. We developed a simple PPT to explain the introductory issues around chatbots to start a conversation. We are in the decision phase of a simplified, pre-ordained question/answer approach that will use the text/speech features vs a more robust backend db with some AI/chatbot engine hooks (more robust, reusable, higher level of sophisticated use). Maybe we can coordinate some joint efforts. Regards.

David Tait

We've been playing with the technology too and have embedded a chatbot in to Storyline as a web object: https://www.4pt-elearning.co.uk/chatbot/sl-chatbot-integration/story_html5.html

This doesn't interact at all with Storyline (it's a simple FAQ bot about paracetamol) so I can't comment on that aspect but what I love about this is the multiple different channels you can distribute through, for example, the exact same chatbot can be published for Skype, Twitter or Facebook etc, broadening your reach.

I saw this example of how speech recognition can be used to create simulated conversations, the possibilities are mind-boggling: https://elearning.company/viewpage.php?page=aicsvoice_elh

And here's a very basic example where I've used speech recognition to complete an interaction: https://www.4pt-elearning.co.uk/speech/story_html5.html 

Santhosh Kumar

Hello Community! 

Delighted to let you know that we have recently launched Project Disha, a chatbot powered e-learning course (in Storyline) on Prevention of Sexual Harassment (POSH). 

Here's an article published in elearningindustry about this project: https://elearningindustry.com/project-disha-worlds-first-chatbot-powered-elearning-course

Wish this (Behind the scenes glimpse of what went into the making of the project) will inspire you to get started in leveraging the power of 'conversational learning' in your learning programs as well.

Please let us know if this interests you, and if you would like to know more about it...We would be happy to discuss.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.