Creating a shopping list / checkout screen on ELHChallenge294

Aug 21, 2020

Hey all,

I finished my course for the Pawticulate challenge right before the deadline, but with one caveat: the checkout is not working.

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/036961fa-c798-475a-a4dc-ceb41c7c7587/review

The setup: on each tab of the course, you can book a "Service" from Ziggy Stardust Industries. On the Checkout page, there should be a list of the services that were booked (9 variables).

Because a user can choose the services in any order, I tried programming my triggers to write to the variables only if the previous one isn't empty. But all 9 variables get set to the value of the first button clicked, breaking my system.

Questions:

• How would you recommend I have Storyline set the variables in the order that is chosen by the user? This order will vary and some variables will remain blank.
  • Should I perhaps switch to Javascript instead of the long long long list of triggers on each button? Would this be harder or easier to debug?

PS: I won't have access to my source files and the Storyline software until Wednesday.

I will try to show my bad trigger logic when I have the chance.

2 Replies
Nancy Woinoski

Hi there, Karen, your example looks great! As for the shopping cart, I'd really have to see the storyline source to help troubleshoot it. There are so many ways to set this up.

In the meantime, take a look at this post - in particular, take a look at Phil Mayor's example as he has included a link to his story project. 

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/building-better-courses/building-a-text-list-using-variables-9076700d-32e3-4351-b09c-0a333ae871cf

Oh and just one minor recommendation from me - consider adding a close button on the shopping cart so that the user has the option of closing it and continuing to shop.

Karen Mouws

Thank you for your input! 
I managed to fix the shopping cart (trigger order, Karen, trigger order).

I'll try to add a close button later, as it's indeed not obvious that the user can return via the tabs on the right. Thanks for the tip!

Maybe in a next iteration, I'll also allow users to remove items, but I didn't make it that far.

I've added the Storyline file to this comment for those interested in the giant list of triggers.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.