Customize-able video Slideshow

May 26, 2016

Hey Guys/Gals,

I am stumped. I am trying to create a customize-able video slideshow in Articulate Storyline 2. Basically this is the concept: I have a Menu page with 8 check boxes that correlates to a certain video. As of now, I have each video as a separate scene completely. The vision is to have the user click as many check boxes as they need, which then a "play demo" button will pop up and when that button is clicked---the correlating videos will pop up one after the other without a pause or any navigation needed as each video ends and the next one begins. The idea is that they can click as many or as few check boxes depending on how many videos they want to see. Is this even possible/any ideas at all is GREATLY appreciated.

5 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Makayla, 

Thanks for reaching out here - and it sounds like a really great set up you're looking to accomplish here! I don't know entirely if it would work as you'd expect - but I think you could accomplish something like this through the use of variables. So for example, on your menu slide - each check box has a T/F variable associated with it - that the initial value of the variable is set to false. Clicking on the check box would need a trigger to toggle the variable. When the user clicks the play button - the trigger associated with that would look like:

Jump to scene 1 video if check box one is equal to true, jump to  scene 2 video if check box one is equal to true, and so on. With this set up - the first checkbox that is set to true, should be the first video played, and by pass the others and not play the ones set to true after it...yet.

You'd need to also replicate that trigger set up for each scene, to jump to video scene X when the media completes if the corresponding check box variable is true. Presumably you'd want them to play in order - so if they user reaches scene 7 out of 8 - you'd only need one trigger there to play scene 8 once scene 7 completes. 

So...it's a fair amount of triggers to set up and variables to keep track of. You'll want to ensure that you are careful with trigger order as it'll be crucial in this set up. You'll also need to set all the videos to play automatically and I would not include the video controls for the user - as that could muck things up with the slide timeline and your media completion triggers. 

Lastly, any "pause" may be based on the loading of the videos and your bandwidth in terms of accessing them - so it may not be truly seamless.

Hope this gets your ideas going - and perhaps once you've gotten it started share a copy of your .story file here in the community forums to see if others can offer ideas or suggestions on ways to modify this set up.

Makayla Prevost

Hey Ashley, Thank you again for all the help! This is the finished product. I have three demo videos as place holders (Video 1,2,3). I can click any variation of those three and the videos will show in the order that they were selected. I ran into a problem with the trigger to jump to scene X when media completes due to the fact that the videos were streamed from Vimeo and not imported. Streaming made Storyline not recognize when the media completed so I combated that by having it jump to scene X when timeline reaches 3 seconds passed the duration of the video. Had to make sure as well that I implemented some java that reset all the variables therefore when it jumped back to the main menu there was a clean slate for the variables! Again, Thank you SO very much!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Thanks Makayla for sharing the final product and I'm so happy to hear you were able to get it working as you wanted. As for the "media triggers" those do need to reference videos inserted directly into Storyline, and wont' work with web objects as you found out. The additional seconds duration sounds like a nice addition! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.