Do i need an authoring tool?

May 03, 2016

Hallo.

I am a web developer.

I could create a course by using powerpoint, a program that creates ANIgifs in order to make the slides look pretty, a program that captures screen to convert the slide presentation into video and my html/css skills to create quizzes.

Why do i need an authoring tool?Is there something extra that it can provide to an elearning project that i dont get it?

5 Replies
Crystal Horn
Bob S

Ioannnis,

Perhaps your answer lies in the word "tool"...   

Following your logic, there is nothing you can do with a cordless drill that you couldn't do with a sharp rock.... eventually.   The right tool makes things easier, cleaner, more consistent, and compatible with industry standards so your content can be deployed more ways and updated more easily.  So.... need is a relative term. If your heart is set on hand coding, then go for it!.  But remember the compromises involved.

Ioannis Dourvas

thank u all for your answers.

Let me be a bit more specific so you can comment and maybe spare an advice.

I am totally new in elearning. I thought i could start a project.

The first idea was to built (we are a group of four) a platform that can host eleraning lessons that we could built ourshelves.

we are now searching the field of elearning to find ideas about how to accomplish all that.

We know we can built elearning video lessons that are attractive by using the compilation of software i mentioned before(powepoint etc).

The industry standards you mentioned are SCORM or TIN CAN? i understand that are the way to communicate the lessons with the platform. We will built the platform. The way we can get info from our lessons is not a big deal regarding the coding required

what is your opinion about that project. Do you consider it can be done or do you thing that we should consider to buy an LMS or a authoring tool like storyline or both and why?

Bob S

I don't know enough about your business and situation, so only you can answer this question for yourself....   "Why reinvent what already exists?"

Just because you can do something, doesn't always mean you should. This is the business pragmatist in me that's seen too many decades of companies suffering from the "if it's not invented here then it's not good" syndrome.

If there is a valid business reason for needing solutions that are truly different than the industry norms, then fine. But otherwise..... why bother?   There are decent authoring tool solutions out there for less than 2k  US dollars. There are decent LMS solutions out there less than 4k US dollars annually.   What is your team's time worth?  What happens when you need to update or deploy the same content in a different way, or different platform?  What happens when you move on and someone else has to update it?

In most cases.... I recommend sticking with a good basic authoring tool (Articulate offers a couple) and a simple LMS solution. And if you want to flex your configuration muscles, look for an open source LMS like Moodle et al that you can customize.  That's my advice that works in most situations.... but might not for yours.

Good luck!

Steve Flowers

You could develop elearning using nothing but notepad. Heck, you could use a purple crayon and a flip phone to build elearning content. A good designer might pull off a great product using both of these tools. Yes, they are tools. Unless you plan to use the power of your mind to build a product that nobody will see, you'll use a tool of some kind. 

Two big questions: Do you need an authoring tool fit for the purpose of developing these outputs to be successful? Do you need an authoring tool to be efficient enough to be hired more than once?

The answer to the first question. I'd say no. You don't need a tool designed for a specific purpose to be successful. There are many tools out there that could combine successfully with enough effort and good design skill to pull off fantastic output. The second question contains the rub. Tools in this space exist for two reasons, 1) efficiency and 2) maintainability. Tools like Storyline take care of many repetitive and custom build tasks that would otherwise take time. They also create a platform that's maintainable beyond "you" because no sane client wants to be tied to one developer or require the dev's help for every little thing. 

Authoring tools are handy, and you might not need them. However, they do take care of some interoperability challenges as well as taking care of repetitive tasks that most clients will NOT pay for over and over again. The way most tools take care of these common navigation and logic challenges also make headaches less painful as many clients will accept the way the tool outputs these features. Because, in many cases, the way the tool generates the logic and output are reasonably usable. 

It's a trade-off. Tools are part of the equation in that trade-off of the ratio between effort and outcome.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.