Drag and drop interaction

Hello Community,

I had the opportunity to be part of the articulate drag and drop webinar yesterday 10/29. I would like to ask the community how  do you design a drag and drop interaction where we provide immediate feedback after the learner makes a choice.  For the drag and drop to be successful, the learner has to drag and drop in the right sequence. For example, drag and drop 1, 2 and 3; in that order. As the learner drags and drop, they receive immediate feedback. Yes, it seems easy  but there was a little bit of confusion because there are so many ways! and obviously I do not seem to get neither one right!

There was also a great example of a plate and food items below. The items were fruits or food. For instance, as you drag and drop a broccoli unto the plate, it would change in size and color, which reminds, by the way,  of Montse's cupcake interaction.

Thank you so much!

Astrid

7 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Astrid,

What kind of feedback are you looking to give them? If you just want to let them know if they dropped the drag item in the right or wrong spot, I would:

1. Add correct and incorrect drop states (here's more info on how to work with drop states)
  2. Uncheck the box "delay item drop states until interaction is submitted" (see this article about drag and drop options).

I hope that helps! :)

Linda Lorenzetti

Hi Astrid,

When I first read your question about having a drag and drop mark something in the correct sequence, I was sure that it could be done with variables.  However, it's a little tricker than anticipated because you need variables for each item dropped, plus a variable to count the order of the sequence.  I've mocked up a sample below.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Astrid Case

Linda: This option is great, if I paraphrase the question for the interaction. Learners will still see the idea of the activity. I want to review your variable option:  I do not get  why the counting variable but it makes sense to me that  a true/false variable option is possible.

Thank you for your help!

Astrid

Linda Lorenzetti

When I used the T/F variables without the count variable, if I put purple first , blue second and green third in the target area, purple would be marked as wrong, the blue would be marked as correct (purple & green were both still false) and green would be marked as correct (blue was true, purple was false).  I needed to add the count so that it could determine if the order was correct.