How do you troubleshoot advanced Storyline interactions?
Hey helpful community peeps...
Creating advanced interactions in Storyline can be tons of fun and it can also be a challenge to get everything "working" as it should. By advanced interactions I mean .story projects that incorporate layers, states, lots of triggers, conditional triggers, variables, animations, etc.
Awhile ago I wrote this article about troubleshooting advanced interactions in Storyline. It covers a few good things to know about, but since then I've thought of more items that I didn't include in the article at the time, but that are important to know about. So I'm thinking of writing another, even more comprehensive article for troubleshooting Storyline interactions. Here are my tips so far, I'd love to know if you have ideas or suggestions for other things to add to the list. Also if you leave a tip or suggestion it's super helpful if you can explain why, when, and how you'd use it. Thanks in advance community!
- name your slides, layers, objects, variables with clear & descriptive names (makes setting up triggers, etc. a lot quicker and easier)
- verify trigger order (it matters!)
- check your variables (verify the default values, verify they are used in the correct place)
- check slide and/or layer properties (is the Resume slide option as it should be?)
- check the timeline (are the objects appearing on the timeline when they should be?)
- check for animations (Are there entrance or exit animations on your objects?)
- Create fake buttons you can use for testing purposes (so you don't have to click through the entire interaction during testing, can just click a button to have something happen quickly to test it)
- Insert references to all variables so you can ensure they are working properly during testing
What am I missing?