How much direction does a developer need to build a module?

Nov 04, 2015

If you are working on content that is dense heavy, policy/implementation related, and long (ex. 40 minute module), as a Storyline Developer, how much detail would you prefer to be given to work from?

Options could include from the simple to the detailed, including: 1) just the script, 2) a high-level design (script broken into what appears on each screen & high level verbal concept ideas for design), 3) storyboard (same as previous but with images instead of/in addition to verbal, or 4) instructional design map (turnkey details on how to build each layer, step-by-step)?

1 Reply
David Tait

If you're hiring an out-and-out developer, i.e. not someone with instructional or graphic design skills in their toolbox I would say option 3 should provide them with everything that they need. If there are any step-by-step processes or animations in the content I would recommend providing instructions for these too.

There are of course companies/individuals who would be capable of working with options 1 and 2 as well but it all depends on whether your budget stretches this far as to whether they would be a viable option for you.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.