Importing objects from Adobe Illustrator

Jun 21, 2016

Hey everyone!

I have been looking over some discussions about importing from Adobe Illustrator. But, and this is a long shot, I was wondering if there was any way to import Illustrator files with distinct, selectable objects.

I'm asking this because I created diagrams using Illustrator and I would love to use them in my e-learning course, in such a way that the user could interact with the individual elements of each diagram. For example, if they hover over a slice of a doughnut chart, that slice would be highlighted and further information about it would pop up alongside it. 

Unfortunately the diagrams are too complicated to recreate in Storyline, at least not without greatly simplifying them and also ruining their aesthetic 'look'. 

So far the only solution I have come up with is to import an EMF version of a diagram from Illustrator and replace the text in the original diagram with interactive text boxes in Storyline. This means (continuing with the doughnut example from above) that when a user hovers over a slice's label, it reveals another layer (with another EMF file) in which that slice has been highlighted. 

This solution can work but I would much prefer being able to interact with the objects/slices themselves rather than text boxes.

If you have any suggestions please let me know!

9 Replies
David Price

I do this quite a lot with Photoshop and Illustrator and I havent found a direct import process so far.  So all I do is create each asset in PS or AI and then export them as individual PNG (or JPG) files.

To manage the different states I duplicate the layer in PS or AI so that it is exactly the same size, position, etc and then change the duplicate layer with a different colour, text, etc, whatever I need.

I then import the first layer into SL and then add a new Hover state.  Go into the Hover state and choose the Change Image option.  As the output from PS or AI is pretty much the same size it should just replace the Hover image with the one you want, without resizing, etc.

No need for triggers or anything, the Hover state handles all this.  You can even put additional text or images onto it depending what you need.  It can be a bit time consuming if you have loads of assets to work with but its the easiest way I found to do it.

David Tait

Sandra, IMO the absolute best way to get stuff out of Illustrator and in to Storyline is by exporting from Illustrator as a PNG using the Asset Export panel.

Illustrator Asset Export

I use the setting shown in the image above to create 96ppi resolution images and then I scale the image to 75% once it's in Storyline. Works a treat for me and my images always look sharp.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.