Layers and States

May 24, 2018

Hi Everyone,

Can one layer be used more than once for different buttons…. Say the base layer has 3 buttons… all the info block is on one layer… when the button is clicked- only that info block should appear even though there is more than one info block…

Can you please explain “states” .. what is it used for and what it does….

Thank you 

3 Replies
Ridvan  Saglam

Hi Thulani, 

I would use Hide/Normal states and triggers. 

Let's say all the info blocks are hidden when the timeline starts. 

When the user selects button one, it changes the state of the first block to Normal. 

When the second button is selected, it changes the state of first block to Hidden and second block to Normal. 

You can discover more about the states here; https://community.articulate.com/series/storyline-3/articles/storyline-3-adding-and-editing-states

Nancy Woinoski

I agree with David. The easiest way to do what you want is to create 3 layers - one for each block of information. 

You asked about states and what they are used for so I will give a go at explaining how I understand them.  If you add a Storyline button to your slide and then click on the States tab by the Timeline, you will see that the button has 5 built-in states. Normal, Hover, Down, Visited, Disabled.  At the simplest level these states are intended to give a visual cue that something is happening when the user interacts with the button. The defaults are very basic but you can edit them to make them look any way you want.  Say, for example, you want to display a message when the user hovers over the button or add a checkmark when the user has clicked a button, you can do this by adding text to the Hover state or a checkmark to the Visited state.  Storyline also has a few other states that I won't go into here. Each of the Storyline states has built-in logic so you don't need to add a trigger to make the state display. You can also create your own custom states. These states do not have built-in logic and will require triggers to make them display. 

The neat thing is that you can also add these states to a text object, shape object or a picture if you want to change their appearance when the user clicks or hovers on them.  

In addition, you can add triggers to carry out an action when an object is in a certain state or to force a state change. For example, say you have a button and you set the initial state to disabled, you can add a trigger to change the state to Normal when another button or object is clicked.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.