LMS not registering SCORM2004 score/SL3

Nov 28, 2018

Hi all. I've got an LMS/SCORM issue I'd like your thoughts on please. 

Here's how our LMS works:

To open an e-learning in our corporate LMS, the user must navigate to the course page, then click on a link which will open the SCORM object in a separate window. Once the course is complete, the user closes the SCORM window and the final scores etc. are delivered to the LMS window, which refreshes in a few seconds to show said score. Pretty standard I'd guess. 

Here's my problem:

Randomly, users are reporting that the LMS doesn't refresh and display the score. It just 'freezes' on the screen saying "Collecting data". When they resume the course they often discover that only half of the course is registered as complete despite them having already finished it. 

My theory:

I'm wondering if local network settings, or perhaps PC settings are cutting off the internet connection half-way through the e-learning, thinking that there is no activity? Or simply a super slow internet connection (it must be random, because network speed tests are good) Or, perhaps our LMS is going to sleep? 

If anyone has any ideas on how I could collect information that might help me get to the bottom of this, I'd appreciate it hugely. Thanks in advance.

3 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Steve,

Did you try uploading your course to SCORM Cloud to see if you experience the same behavior?

That's what we generally recommend doing to determine whether the problem stems from the course or the LMS. Here's an article that walks you through how to do that.

If it works correctly on SCORM Cloud, then the problem is coming from the LMS and you'll need to talk to your provider.

If you see the same issue on SCORM Cloud, then the problem is likely coming from the course itself. If that's the case, please reach out to our support team.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.