Locking Slides

Jul 07, 2015

I know this is a simply answer, but having a hard time finding it in the manual.  Can someone tell me how to lock a slide so that the user cannot advance it until they have completed all tasks on the slide?

8 Replies
Helen Reid

I don't normally Lock the navgation as there are always some pages where navigation does not need to be locked.,  There's a couple of ways I do it. 

1. Hide the Next until all actions are complete.
1.1 Set the next button to hidden ('States>Initial state 'Hidden')
1.2 Set a trigger to return Next to Normal once the action is complete (Insert trigger>Change state of [Next button]>To State [Normal]> When [uses clicks]>Object [name of object]

The other way is similar to above except leaving the next button visible. 
2.1  Set up a 'Selected" or 'Visited" state on the Next Button.  (States>Insert state>Selected)
2.2  Set a trigger like above and the action to jump to next page is when object is 'selected' or 'visited'. 
2.3  With this option, If the learner is blocked, I will create a pop-up letting the learner know they need to complete all actions on the page before progressing or something like that.  This stops the learner thinking somethings broken or not understanding why they can't move forward.  To get this to show, put the message on it's own layer.  Add a trigger to 'show layer' then add a 'condition' against the next button if it is not equal to 'selected' or 'visited'.

Hope this makes sense. 

Chris R

Tammy, one simple way is by using states and triggers. You can set it up in many different ways but suppose you have three click and reveal objects. In this case, I like to also incorporate an "oops" layer. If the learner tries to advance before all three objects have been visited, show the oops layer reminding them to visit all three objects before moving on. One simple trigger example, therefore, would be to show the next slide when objects 1 and 2 and 3 states are = to visited.

Sent from my iPhone

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.