Mac or PC

Mar 12, 2012

Hey guys - quick question, who uses a Mac adn who uses a PC?

I am currently using a PC for everything but am thinking of moving over to Mac (assuming Storyline is supported one day!)

Can anyone who creates elearning or any Instructional Designers out there give me some advice as to which they prefer and why?

5 Replies
Phil Mayor

I use a Macbook Pro, with everything loading via parallels works great as does Storyline.  I have flash and photshop as native and windows so I dont have to swap backwards and forwards.

I would reccommend putting as much RAM as possible in, the only irritant is that parralels does not map the keyboard so sometimes you have to guess where the keys are e.g. @. ", #

Ron Price

I am a PC and have no issues with any of the Articulate software, including Storyline.  We train a lot people on the Articulate tools and we are seeing more with Macs in the classes, typically no more than 1 or 2 per class, though.  Most are PCs.

The three main protocol I have encountered in those sessions are Parallels (as Phil Mentioned), VMware Fusion, and Bootcamp.  Each of these seem to run with different levels of success.  The main issues seem to be around the comfort of the users understanding enough about both Operating systems to trouble shoot. For example, we have had some, that just cannot seem to get Parallels or Fusion to record audio in Articulate at first. The virtual machine having to access the sound drivers on the mac, throws some people off, others, have no issues what so ever.

Since Bootcamp, loads as a Windows OS, I have not really encountered anyone with issues and Articulate when using Bootcamp.

Most users seem to have and adequate solution for Articulate uses.  So, I guess it is up to you and the other features you may want that the different machines and OS have to offer. Good luck.

Normal 0 false false false oNotPromoteQF /> EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

(On a side note - there is a rumor that  V.I.K.I. on IRobot was a Mac, and we all know how that turned out.) 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.