Prevent user from swiping through content with a trigger (using 360)

Dec 08, 2016

Hi heroes!

I'm trialing 360 and I'm wondering if I can prevent a user from swiping through content with a trigger?

I have already created the trigger to disable the next button on timeline start if X variable = false. I'm wondering if this carries over to the swipe? Or, if I allow the swipe function on the page will it act like a "master key" so learners can get past the activity even without completing it?

Appreciate your feedback!

11 Replies
Joey Buys

Good day, Lesley.

If you enable the swipe and next buttons in the slide properties (little gear icon), you will notice that the corresponding triggers will automatically be created. Inspecting these triggers, we can see the parameters are set to jump to the next or previous slide on the "Next button / Swipe Next" object. 

To prevent users from skipping the content, we can simply add a condition to the pre-created trigger. We can create a true / false variable (for example, viewedContent) and set the default value to false. We can then create an additional trigger in the slide to set the viewedContent variable to true when the timeline ends. Now we can define our conditions on the navigation trigger(s) to only jump to the next slide if the viewedContent variable is equal to true.

Hope this helps :)

Lesley Cashman-Peck

Hi Joey,

Thank you, but I don't see a way to "disable" the swipe, just the next button. That's what I'm wondering about. If I enable the swipe on the page, it seems to ignore the variable which is there to prevent them from moving forward without completing the activity. Ideas?

I have to do some more testing...

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Lesley,

Thanks for your question about disabling the next button with the swipe as well. I did a quick test of this in Storyline 360 and uploaded to Review so that I could view it on my iPhone. Within Safari on iOS 10 it all seemed to work as expected - the swipe or next wouldn't let me proceed until the timeline ended (about 5 seconds). I've attached a copy of the .story file for you as well. 

If you are having difficulty with this set up can you share a copy of the .story file here with us? 

Judy Nollet

Ashley, your sample .story uses a variable to prevent the user from clicking/swiping to go next until the timeline ends (without showing the NEXT button as disabled).  I don't think that addresses the question here.

From a usability standpoint, if the NEXT button won't work during the first part of the timeline, then the button should also look disabled. That means adding a trigger to disable the NEXT button until the timeline ends, which disables the button AND makes it look that way. So here's the question:  

Does a trigger the disables the NEXT button automatically disable the ability to swipe next? Or would you still need to add a condition to the go-next trigger?

Note: Something similar was asked in another thread ( Control over swipe functionality), except that author said they were hiding the NEXT button, which doesn't impact the ability to swipe.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

To prevent users from skipping the content, we can simply add a condition to the pre-created trigger. We can create a true / false variable (for example, viewedContent) and set the default value to false. We can then create an additional trigger in the slide to set the viewedContent variable to true when the timeline ends. Now we can define our conditions on the navigation trigger(s) to only jump to the next slide if the viewedContent variable is equal to true.

Hi Judy,

Correct - I included the variable originally based on the suggestion that Joey shared above. You could also set it to show the next button as disabled if you wanted that too using a trigger to change it's state. 

Do you have a project that you're having difficulty with? Always happy to take a look! 

Judy Nollet

I finally got around to doing my own test. Here's what I found:

• For a course with navigation set to unrestricted: A trigger that disables the NEXT button does not disable swiping next. In other words, as noted above, you'd have to do some extra programming to prevent someone from swiping next when the NEXT button is disabled.
    • Also of note: The next button is just a pointer (>) for mobile viewing. Unfortunately, it doesn't look disabled when a trigger disables it. (Well, if there is any change in its appearance, I couldn't tell.) That means a user could be frustrated because nothing happening when they tap next. There should be a visual cue that it won't work!
  • For a course with navigation set to restricted: Swiping left AND swiping right are completely disabled. Period.
Christiane Knutzen

Hi @ all,

after big trouble to get the mobile port to work at all, now I am struggling with this very same problem. I have restricted some slides (so that the user have to visit all pop ups, and stuff; also quizslides) to just show the next button when everything is viewed. If I open the project on a mobile device I can swipe without needing the next button.

And whats kinda funny, If I complete a quizslides (so that the next button appears) I can't swipe next anymore.

Are there any ideas or a little guide how I can add a trigger or something to stop that?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.