Question related to colors for accessibility/508 compliance

Apr 24, 2018

Hi all,

This isn't an Articulate question per se, but it is relevant, and the answers might help others, too. Our courses include screenshots of our company's user interface, and we're trying to find the best colors for objects like highlight (outline) boxes, highlight arrows, etc. We're finding that none of the colors in our company's UI kit are good candidates for use in highlighting elements in our courses. We've been using the WebAIM color contrast checker (https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/), but what we really need is a tool that would allow us to type in all of the colors used in our company's UI kit, and then spit out a list of the best colors in the greater color palette to use with those UI colors for color contrast (at AA level). Does anyone know if such a tool exists? It's probably too much to hope for, but thought I'd ask. If there isn't, we might have to devise a plan B.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

4 Replies
Lisa Spirko

Wow, Kris! That's an amazing tool! Thank you so much for sharing it here. Four years ago, I ended up setting up a similar contrast grid ("matrix") in an Excel spreadsheet. It has worked well for us and grown a lot since our marketing team expanded the branding color palette to include various shades to accommodate contrast requirements. Thank you again for sharing the link to this tool. I'll check it out for future use!