Resetting variables

Sep 16, 2016

Hi, I am trying to replicate a search function within my story.  I put in some text variables that go to a layer tied to the word, but when I try to go back to my slide to "search again", it looks like the word is still in memory and I can't redo the search.  How do I reset that original variable so that the same word can be searched again.

I tried setting the slide to the property "reset to initial state" but that did not seem to work.  I also added a trigger "set "variablename" equal to the value of "variablename" when the timeline starts" at the top of my trigger list, but that did not work either.

tks

5 Replies
Wendy Farmer

Hi Mariane

the trigger to set variablename equal to 'variablename' when timeline starts is going to hold onto the first value entered until it is reset. So if they searched on 'dog' when they go back to search the variablename=dog so your trigger is saying set it to 'dog'

Try changing it to set variablename to blank when timeline starts...that is like a reset

Mariane Vezina

oh I figured it out.  I was resetting "variable" instead of putting value in the Value field in the "adjust variable" trigger.  By putting "value" blank, for when I click search again button, it wipes the memory.

Action: Adjust variable

Variable: search

Operator: = Assignement

Value: Value "blank"

When: user clicks

Object: Hotspot1

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.