Slide Layers

Sep 14, 2018

I've created a slide that has several buttons on it.  Each button is a slide that has slide layers.  5 of the button work great.  After the recording the user clicks on the button and it takes them to the layer.

One of the buttons turns white at the end of the recording.  When I slide the bar to the left the button shows up again and I can click on it and it takes me to the slide layer. I cannot figure out why it shows white at the end of the recording.

At the end of a different slide recording the slide automatically moves to the slide layer without stopping for the user to click on the button.  The button works if the user clicks on it while the recording is running.

so, I have 2 issues - 1. the slide going white (by the way, I cannot find a blank slide in this presentation) and 2. the layer progressing without the user clicking on the button.  I have spent hours looking for the issue and am ready to start over.  Any suggestions? 

4 Replies
Christine Brown

I must have needed the weekend away from this!! I fixed it right after I took another look. This is the first time...  1. used buttons 2. used slide layers 3. had someone else record the material I developed. 

For this the person that recorded left time after the slides which resulted in a blank power point. I can't believe all the time I spent looking for what was right in front of me.

I'm not sure what the benefit of using slide layers is. Would you mind telling me what you use them for?

Thanks for your time.

Christine

Steve Hazelton

I'm definitely not a pro from Dover superuser, but here's my simple take on it: it's mostly personal preference until you get into the more complex stuff. I can build a straightforward course with only one slide but 20 layers, or I can build the same course with 20 slides, each with only one layer. Where layers are useful is where you are using the same background and changing a few details (especially when adding things). For example, when I first learned to use Storyline I created a slide with two characters talking to each other. I had several dialog balloons stacked on top of each other, using the timeline to pop each one in and out. I even created different states for the characters so that the expressions and poses changed as they talked. It looked good when I ran it, but when I went back to change the wording in one dialog balloon it was hard to find and edit. Putting some of the dialog boxes and the related state triggers on layers solved that problem. I could have done the whole thing on individual slides, but as I said, personal preference!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.