Subject matter experts' time constraint

Feb 01, 2018

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what are the best practices or ways to review & update online training materials/content especially when your in house SMEs are quite busy. Do you think reviewing every 2 to 3 years is a good practice? How do we get the SME to review the content every 2/3 years? 

I would appreciate with useful tips, information and options.

Thank you!

1 Reply
Trina Rimmer

Hi Noori. Getting busy SMEs attention can be tough and I think you're smart to look into developing some best practices. Here are a couple of things to consider ...

First, work with your SMEs and any relevant stakeholders or business partners to develop your own best practices for regular content reviews. Perhaps your organization only needs certain content reviewed every 4 or 5 years because it changes less than other types of content? Or maybe you need to review certain content more frequently? Getting everyone together to sort out these types of questions could make your lives a lot easier.

These meetings would give you a chance to get everyone's buy-in for the time commitment required to do periodic reviews and give your SMEs an opportunity to suggest ways of making the process go more smoothly. You could also talk about which content to prioritize, who the content owners are and who their back-ups are so when a SME is out or unavailable there's another SME available to you. This may also be a good opportunity to define how the review process will work—how feedback will be gathered, which types of content will require complete rework and another layer of reviews vs. content that just needs some minor updates before republishing.

Finally, if you're not already using Articulate 360, you may want to look into Articulate Review. Articulate Review is our web-based review tool for streamlining the entire review process. Folks seem to love it!

Hopefully some other community members will chime in with their best practices and experiences, too. In my experience, they've got the best advice of all!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.