Technical Document Examples / Ideas In Storyline 360

Jul 23, 2020

I believe I've searched every discussion around technical documents in Storyline 360.

Background:

Individuals must confirm they've read the document.

What am I trying to do? Move past the boring old "Did you read this? Click here".

Thoughts so far:

• would like to see examples
    • I want to build in Storyline 360 - but willing to look at other tools / examples
  • cover key points, but have it be engaging for the individual i.e. highlights, lightboxes, audio etc. 
  • have the original document available to reviewer (would probably do link / downloadable pdf, open to other options as well).

Looking forward to thoughts / examples! 

Thank you!!

2 Replies
Steve Hazelton

Solve this one and there is a Nobel Prize with your name on it.  I hate it when someone hands me a new policy and says "Create a course on this." So much of it is how you sell it up front - what I call "the hook" - this is why it is important that you read and understand this. After that, I try to bring out the key points any way I can by isolating and emphasizing them, I embed quiz questions after each main point, and if you get it wrong you are going to loop back. That way, if you have completed the course you have answered every question correctly.

I will use animation, but I try to limit it as it can be distracting. We can't use much audio because we are a hospital and a lot of our staff does their e-learning courses in settings where blaring out audio can be a problem, especially at night. I am personally not a gamer so I use it sparingly but probably should use it more often.

One thing I will do someday is create some very short video clips of our CEO sitting behind his desk and saying things like "Did you really read this?" or "Really? You picked THAT answer?" or "Would you like me to help you find a new career?" or even just shaking his head in disbelief that I can put into courses from time to time (he loves the idea and is all for doing some for me).

Since you asked for examples, I have included a very quick example I will sometimes use for shorter documents. It's not dynamic or very exciting but it does increase the chances of someone actually reading the document.

Edwina Castone

I know, I'm asking for the Golden Egg!! Thank you so much for sharing the Scrolling Panel download - it got my brain thinking!!

The idea of your CEO making those statements is awesome!
It will add some light humor and get your learners to (hopefully) really try  versus trying to zoom through. I get the point about audio too, I'll have to be careful with that. 

To your point, I'll have to pick my SMEs brain about what is important / necessary to be covered i.e. need to have vs. nice to haves.

Luckily (?) for me, there are particular points that change in our document, so this may work.

Thank you for the example...I think a teenager is going to show up at my house tomorrow ;) Ha ha.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.