The size of your e-Learning team?

Apr 18, 2016

Hello e-learning heroes, I'm seeking some knowledge. My company is exploring expansion on our e-learning team and as much as I think I know everything ;) I don't. I'm curious about what other companies are doing on their e-learning team.

How big is your company?

How many e-learning team members do you have?

Do you build courses for internal, external, or both?

What is your project work load at any given time? (webinars, on-demand, video production, etc.)

I'm not looking for any insider details just a general understanding of how others are doing things, I don't know what I don't know. Thanks!

19 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Adam!

I am a team lead of a team of 4 instructional designers, and we provide online training and development to 29,000 employees. All our work is internal, therefore, there is no fee for our service.

Each team member builds one online course at a time, and each course takes anywhere from 4-8 weeks to develop. Also, we do not have people who "just design" or "just develop." Each team member manages the entire project from start to finish. 

I hope this helps!

Tim Danner

I'm the lone instructional designer in our university department that develops non-credit eLearning courses and also assists faculty with development of credit online courses. My project work load is...a lot, primarily because I'm a one-person team and much of the content is in the form of an information dump. On top of that, I'm also doing tech support, consultations with faculty and managing two people who transcribe recorded narration for us. Right now, I'm experiencing the first break of any kind between between projects in over a year.

Tristan Hunt

Our "team" consists of myself being is 50/50 split between Instructional Design and LMS Administration and 2 others who are maybe 1/4 time allocated to course design. We support over 3000 learners all of whom would be considered internal...

I do all of the final course creation and publishing currently, although since I have come on board I have started to up skill the other 2 team members whenever time allows.

G Innes

Hi

I work for a school in a university.  The university maybe has 13,000 students and perhaps 1,000 staff. My school has perhaps 2,000 students and 90 staff.  In our school we have one full time e-learning adviser, a part time e-learning adviser and an editor to proof read and format documents.  We are managed by a senior lecturer. We also have access to a central e-learning team who run the Moodle VLE, IT dept. who maintain PCs etc, video production team and photographer.  We also do some of our own videos/photos.

My team do mainly internal courses for staff/students but some commercial work two - normally one or two projects a year. Currently we are working on four large projects, each six months duration. We also get day to day enquires and support issues to deal with. 

So, we are never quiet really but we must prioritise our tasks and plan ahead as much as possible to balance the work load throughout the year.  Hope that is useful.

Gavin

Rishikesh Kumar

Hi Adam!

I am working in one of the Big 4 firms and I am leading a team of instructional designers and content developers. The team size was 15 an year ago, and now it has reached to 45. 

We primarily support client work, but continue to develop assets as well. The company has a central graphic design team who support us in the graphic development requirements.

The kind of work varies from project to project. Some are completely ILTs, while some are just elearnings. But majority of them follow blended learning solutions.

I hope this helps!

Joe Waddington

I work the a state government agency this is only about 1800 staff, but we develop training that is used by employees of other state agencies - so our potential learner base is over 100k. 

I'm on a team of 5 Instructional Developers. However, each of us has a slightly different focus. One is strictly curriculum development for our elearning courses. Two focus solely on working in SL2 - turning the curriculum storyboard into a course. Myself and the other member have the ability to work both sides, curriculum and design.

Most of our courses are low to medium fidelity. We buy a lot of our images from resource sites, and very rarely do we utilize video. When we have narration, it is done in house with volunteers.

Currently, we are in a big push to complete 10 eLearning courses for our new Supervisor Essentials series. The 10 must done by the end of the September, so its about to get crazy here!

Cristina Devrin

I am currently a team of one, I develop internal courses for an audience of approximately 11,000 employees. In addition, I'm also the system administrator for our LMS. In this role, I usually have one e-learning project a time and own the project from beginning to end. In previous roles, I have managed up to 5-6 projects concurrently. However, in those roles, I was solely dedicated to instructional design and development.

Preston Ruddell

I'm one of a four-person team.  Our segment of the business is about 1200 people.  We are responsible for the creation and maintenance of ILT and Web based training.  We are also responsible for the maintenance and functionality of our knowledge base (SharePoint 2010).  We work with our implementations team any time were opening a new line of business.  At this time, we have about 17 lines of business that we support.  We are understaffed, but we get by since a lot of our work is maintaining the accuracy of our training information as opposed to developing new material.

We design training for internal use, but with client approval.  I'm in the middle of an implementation right now and I've had to do some serious action mapping to get some of these processes on paper.  Now that we've created the documents, we're submitting them for client approval.  In most cases, we keep the responsibility of maintaining the documents.  In this particular case, the client will assume that responsibility once they approve the documents.

Our workload varies.  When we are implementing a new client, we are usually busting at the seams in terms of managing the work.  For the most part, our management is understanding and willing to work with us on deadlines.  My boss is an instructional designer.  He reports to the director of training, who reports to the Senior Director, who reports to the executive head of our line of business.  With two training managers between me and the directors, we're usually able to workout reasonable timelines.

As long as I'm always working on the "most important thing" and it gets done, no one asks questions.  If I can't tell what the most important thing is, I reach out to my boss. 

Jerson  Campos

Hi Adam,

I work at a company with 35,000 employees.  There are currently 4 Instructional Designers/Developers in my department all with different backgrounds and skill sets. Some of have strong Instructional Design backgrounds (the analysis and content creation), Others have strong media development backgrounds.  All our courses are for internal use. Our workload is very heavy at the time. We will sometimes outsource some projects if we need to. 

Currently our process is one ID per project from start to finish.  I wouldn't changing that to a more team based approach. At least 2 IDs per project.  One that is strong in the Analysis/Content gathering and the other that is strong is development.  This would lead to a better product in my opinion. 

If you are planning to expand your team, think about hiring individuals with a variety of skills as well.  I have worked at a company that only had a team of IDs that were very strong in the Analysis and Design (technical writing) portion but lacked in the development part. This ended up really hurting the end product because they had poor UI design and lacked engagement. 

Does your company have a vision for training?  Something like "create great and meaningful learning" Well how do you do you plan on achieving this? My recommendation is to hire individuals that can fill the variety of skill-sets you need.  Look at the type of projects you want to start creating for your company and hire people that can fill those needs. 

Erica Louise

Hi Adam, I don't really belong to an E-learning company but we are a team building the tool which will make the process of creating courses and managing communication within the company a lot easier. 

We have a tool, zipBoard which helps you to review your e-learning courses with your stakeholders on the cloud. It's really easy, upload your SCORM files and get started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f18WKfN698

All your project files and discussions at one place for you to access anytime and save time. No more long Email exchanges. You can give it a try at http://app.zipboard.co/signUp

And get in touch with us at ericalouise.dna@gmail.com

Becky Beyea

Kinda late to be responding but just now came across it.  I am the only ID at my company of about 3000.  I also do ILT and Webinar training.  About half our elearning development is done by me alone and about half is brought in from a packaged source.  I develop mostly regulation and compliance computer based training for our heavily regulated financial service company.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.