True False Variables for Branching

May 22, 2020

I'm trying to create a simple branching in a course but my brain does not do variables well. I thought I had it figured out but it's still not working. 

I want the learner to view each branch and have the state of the corresponding button on  the initial slide change to "selected" when they've completed each branch. I created a T/F variable for each branch, added a trigger on the last slide of each branch to change the variable to True once the timeline on that slide completes, and added a trigger to the corresponding button in the initial slide to change the state to "Selected" when the corresponding variable changes to True.  However, the state seems to change to "Selected" as soon as the button that goes to each branch is clicked, rather than when the last slide of that branch is complete.  I'm attaching a sample where I've done it for "Topic 1" only.

2 Replies
Anne Seller

Hi Miriam,

I haven’t viewed your file yet, but here’s a suggestion: The state „Selected“ is basically built-in, so my understanding is that, when you click on a button, its state will change to „Selected“ automatically.

Try creating a new state (called „Completed“ or something else) and make the button look the way you want it to. Then modify your trigger on the corresponding button in the initial slide to change the state to "Completed" when the corresponding variable changes to True.

(In case you don’t already know, you can check the current value of a variable (i.e. the T/F variable) by adding a text box to the slide and then inserting the reference to that variable within that text box. Seeing the current value of a variable is very helpful when troubleshooting.)

I hope that helps. If not, please let me know.

Cheers,

Anne

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.