Using Variables to Create a Conditional Form and Output

Dec 23, 2014

Greetings! First time posting, however I attended an Articulate Heroes road show and it was amazing! I am looking for some help or advice putting together a form with four 'either/or' inputs and a submit button. Based on the in puts entered by the learner it should provide a specific output. Just as a rough example:

- Choice #1: A or B

- Choice #2: C or D

- Choice #3: E or F

- Choice #4: G or H

Leaner chooses A, D, F, and G and clicks 'Submit"

Based on the inputs (A, D, F, G) the output (slide) is specific based on the input.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

Ethan Evans-Hilton

Sr. Instructional Designer

Visa

1 Reply
Allison LaMotte

Hi Ethan!

Welcome to the community! If I have understood correctly, you'd like to have these 4 questions on a single slide, ask the learners to select their answers and then branch to a different slide depending on the combination of choices they have selected.

While this is technically possible through the use of number variables and triggers to branch to slides, it would be labor-intensive because of the number of possibilities. In effect, you would have to create a variable, a slide and a trigger for each possible combination (ADFG, BDFG, ADEG, BDEG, etc). You would need to assign a different number value to each possible combination, and then create a trigger for each one on the submit button that says jump to slide X if the variable is equal to Y. 

In this scenario, is there a correct answer? If so, why don't you just branch to one slide if it correct and another if it is incorrect, no matter which incorrect answers were selected?

Another way to do this would be to have each question on a separate slide, and branch to a one of two slides based on their answer. To do that, you would not even need to use variables, as you could just set one answer to the "correct" answer, and the other to the "incorrect" answer and then define your branching options in the feedback layers.

Hope that is helpful! 

Allison

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.