Variable issue

Jan 31, 2020

Hi there... I'm stuck trying to figure out how to trigger the next button to go from hidden to normal based on a variable set up I have for two layers. Once the user has viewed both layers, I want the next button on the slide to appear. Am I missing something obvious in how I have this set up? I would love any help on this! 

Thank you!

5 Replies
Wendy Farmer

Hi Caren

see if the changes I made work for you.

Just an FYI you don't need triggers when the user clicks buttons to change states if it is a SL in built state like hover or visited so I switched those off.

I added the trigger to show the next button to each layer because the user can do them in any order.

Shout out if you have any other questions.

Karen K

Hi Wendy! I want the next button to remain hidden until the user has viewed both layers though; I don't want them to be able to proceed to the next section until they view both layers. Wouldn't the variable be the best solution in this case? I feel that having the next button on the layers themselves will be confusing for the person and they won't know which of the three buttons to select. 

Wendy Farmer
Caren K

Wouldn't the variable be the best solution in this case?

The variable is the way I've done it.  I don't have the next button on the layers I have the trigger to change the Next button to normal on the layers when both variables are true.  I have it on both layers because they can do the layers in any order.  If they had to go in a specific order I would have the trigger on the final layer.

I had the Next button set to disabled not hidden but I changed it and here is the Peek video of how it's working

Is this what you are after?

Karen K

Thank you so much Wendy. For some reason, on the file you sent, the next button displays on the initial slide even though it shows as being hidden in it's initial state. The peek video is exactly what I want, but I can't seem to get it to display that way on my end and I'm not sure why. Did I have the variable set up incorrectly on the original file? 

Wendy Farmer

Hi Caren

here is the updated file.  I removed a lot of the triggers you had as they weren't necessary.

The Next button (rectangle 7) has an initial state of hidden on the states tab.

I've added the triggers to change the Next button to normal when both variables = true - these triggers are on each layer because the user can do the layers in any order.

Because you have so many ways out of each layer - click other scenario, click continue, click hotspot top right you may need to tweak the triggers.  At the moment I have the trigger set on the continue button and the hotspot.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.