Variable issues

Feb 20, 2018

Hey all

So I'm onto  another eLearning course. Flying through them which is great because they're going down well. This time I have the exciting topic of DPA. The challenge of making that exciting aside, I'm having some trouble with the attached slide and the variables. I'm sure it's something so simple I'm missing that I've gone blind to see what it is.

Basically I've set up 3 true/false variables for each layer visited. Once that layer has been selected the variable should change from false to true.

- What is DPA

- 8 principles

- breeches

Once all layers  has been visited (or the three variable equal to true) the 'back button' on the main navigation slide should turn from disabled to normal and turn blue. However, this isn't happening.

Can someone help to my blindness as to what I've done wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Phill

3 Replies
Phil Lord

Thanks Michael. Sorry should of mentioned the content and other parts weren't finished yet. I got stuck on the variables.

Apologies for my simplicity here as I'm still new to storyline. Am I right in thinking that by putting the trigger (with the if variables to true) like you've done on each layer, that allows for all the possibilities of order for completion which is why it wasn't working for me? Trying to figure out the logic within storyline. thanks again

Patrick McDonald

The problem is that you've used the "When timeline starts" as the condition that decides when something happens, namely, the reveal of the button.  As it stands, your timeline starts (when the user visits the slide), and it checks the state of those variables - they will always be false at this time, so nothing happens.

Unfortunately, there isn't exactly a trigger (that I'm aware of) that acts like a "When" statement, which is what you tried to do here - "When x, y, and z are true, reveal button." 

If you want to keep this kind of logic (which is very similar how I'd do it), you could do the following:

Create three new triggers on your base layer that look like this - 

Change state of button to normal when variable changes (variable 1) to true AND variable 2 and variable 3 are true

Change state of button to normal when variable changes (variable 2) to true AND variable 1 and variable 3 are true

Change state of button to normal when variable changes (variable 3) to true AND variable 1 and variable 2 are true

This will cause the condition to trigger no matter which order the user clicks the buttons, and will use your existing variable structure, since that seems to be what makes sense to you.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.