Variables

Mar 04, 2019

I have a course that involves an hour and a half long video that the learner must watch. We are running into problems when the learner starts the video, a situation comes up, and they must exit the course. Upon returning, they have to start over since there is no trigger available set to mark where they left off. I want the user to not be able to fast forward until they have watched the entire video. This is where the problem lies. If I break the video into sections and have it set to flow through like a video, is there a variable I can create and use as a trigger for the previous/next buttons? 

I want the user to watch the video (cut into sections) all the way through like a typical video, but want buttons to appear when they have watched the entire thing. Is this achievable? 

4 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Cassidy,

If you cut the video into sections, you can make it so the slide auto-advances to the next slide when the video is over. To do that, all you need to do is adjust the slide settings to "advance automatically).

Another option is to add a trigger to hide the next button until the video is over and then another to show the next button at that time.

I hope that answers your question! If not, please let me know.

Steve Hazelton

Hi Cassidy -

Storyline used to have a feature that allowed you to exit the video partway through and then come back where you left off. About 5 months ago I noticed that it did not work any more. Here is the thread from the Storyline Product discussion site where I showed how it worked and have been begging ever since for them to put it back (to no avail). Maybe we can gang up on them and make it happen? If the link doesn't work, go to that discussion site and search for "resume video after exiting course".

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/resume-video-after-exiting-course

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.