Forum Discussion

Spencer
Community Member
13 days ago

BUG: Storyline 'Save' Issues?

I've had a strange and growing issue that I recently noticed, and has persisted across several updates and projects. The 'Save' icon at the top-left of the screen will be grayed out, in a disabled state, UNLESS I manually save the course - then it will return to a Normal state. If I click on it again, or potentially after some time, it grays out and disables again. 

I didn't pay much mind to it, as it was more annoying than troublesome, however something happened today that raised some flags. One time, I was going to close out of Storyline and reopen it so I could move the file I was working on. Simple, easy, common task. The floppy icon is grayed out, so I click File > Save. Storyline thinks for a minute as it saves the course, and I let it do its thing. Once I see it has saved, I go to exit and suddenly;

Do you want to save the changes you made to [Project File].story?

Well, I had just saved the file, and immediately clicked the Close/X button to exit out of Storyline, so... why did I receive the prompt? Nothing had changed in the file, and all signs pointed to it being saved. I checked the folder the file is in; the 'current' file was last modified 10 minutes before, or the time before my last save.

So, Storyline acted like it saved the project, and... what happened? Where did that file go? Where did it save to? 

Regardless, I was able to save the file after doing a Save As, and while I haven't experienced that specific issue, after multiple updates the grayed out Save icon still persists. 

As mentioned, and for support purposes, I have been able to duplicate this issue in a new project file. I'm unsure exactly what triggers it, but it isn't exclusive to one project or file.

• Hello Spencer! Thank you for bringing this to our attention! I don't see that we have this behavior logged as a bug, but it sounds like something I'd like to report to our team. I have tried to recreate this issue on my end, but I do not see the Save icon greyed out at all. I've selected it when opening a new project that hasn't been saved, closing and reopening a project that I've already saved, and while working on a project that I've already saved multiple times before. I have tested this behavior in the latest update, 3.91.33139.0. 

It would be helpful to include a screen recording of this issue in my report. Would you be willing to record your screen as this behavior occurs? 

Spencer
      Community Member

Hi, I appreciate you reaching out! It is actively occurring on a new project file from this morning, so I grabbed a quick video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B9foxLMyb9oI8BnZQcsHbBr236gr5L-C/view?usp=sharing

Would it also be possible for Articulate to consider allowing users to upload video files on E-Learning Heroes? Currently, the only option is to embed a video via a directly from a URL, which isn't the most practical in situations like these, yet E-Learning Heroes does support uploading files past 200 MB directly. Just a thought that might help!