Forum Discussion

AkikoHirose
Community Member
3 years ago

Do you know how to adjust speed of audio created by "Text to Speech"?

I am creating e-Learning course with Articulate Storyline, also I use "Text to Speech " fanction to create audio.

My boss asked me that it could be slow down the audio speed.

But I cannot find speed controler.
Can I change the speed of audio? If someone knows, please advise me.

• Hi, everyone!

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 83, we’ve included important fixes and new features!

One enhanced feature we’ve included:

Unlock new possibilities for text-to-speech audio. Use speech synthesis markup language (SSML) to adjust the speaking rate, modify pronunciation, emphasize words, add pauses, and more.

To take advantage of this update, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here!

• Adding another +1 to have the ability to slow the speech down with text-to-speech. I love the new neural voices and updates but would love the ability to adjust the speed of the speech. I have customer asking me to slow down the audio and unfortunately, I am unable to.

• Hi Mike! 

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us. 

I've included your voice in this feature request. We'll be sure to update this thread in the future with any news or updates. 

Have a great start to your day! 🎉

• I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Can you please help? When I add the SSML tags and then preview the voice it reads them along with the rest of the text out loud. 

This is what I have entered in:

<speak>What Imperial value adds,<break>services or<break>programs do they use?</speak>

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hello Misty,

Happy to help!

You'll need to specify the duration of the break for the tag to work properly. The correct syntax would be something like this: 

<speak>What Imperial value adds,<break time="3s"/>services or<break time="3s"/>programs do they use?</speak>

You can check out this article for more information on the proper formatting of SSML tags!

KimWhiteside
    Community Member

Hello,

I would like to +1 the request to have the feature to control the rate of speech for text-to-speech. Danielle would be perfect for many of my projects if I could slow her down. 

• you can change the rate of speech with SSML

example 90%

<speak><prosody rate="90%">
      Danielle would be perfect I could slow her down.
    </prosody></speak>
    MIriamNelson
    Community Member

Yes, please allow for some adjustment to the Text-to Speech voice speeds. We use Matthew because he is the most human sounding but he speaks really quickly.  That is always the number 1 complaint from learners.  

• Add me, too, please. I was hoping there was something available now, but still looking. let me know if I missed it. Thanks!