Forum Discussion

PhilDoud
Community Member
3 months ago

Slide view, Review, and Preview show different versions of same slide!

This is a persistent problem across multiple computers, multiple course builds, for multiple users in my org.

After making changes to quiz slides (text, answers, etc), the newest version is not appearing on Review or Preview.  I can be looking at a slide in SL edit, select Preview-This Slide (over and over again), and it will show me the old version every time. See attached screenshots.

Same thing happens when publishing to Review. You can't trust that it will create/upload the current copy, despite seeing it on your screen when you Publish.

Saved SL file first, retried Preview and Review.  Same issue.

Restarted SL on same computer, Same issue.

Opened SL file on different computer, Same issue.

Imported SL file into a new file, same issue on same slide.

Opened different SL file, different user, different computer, Same issue.

Among our user group, we have also seen the SL file revert back to previous slide versions, despite the uploaded Review slides being correct.

The thing is, you don't ever know for sure when the issue will happen. I can make 10 slide edits, and it will get maybe 8 of them, but lose the other 2 when it gets Previewed or Reviewed.

A quick search of this forum showed similar problems reported across several years. Not much in the way of resolution in the threads I found, and certainly too many versions back to be relevant.

Completely updated, latest SL version, 3.89.32168 x64 (it happened on x32 also), all windows updates applied, working on internal SSD, etc, etc.

Here's what I don't think is causing it:  anything about the computer or the way SL is installed. I experienced this today on a computer that had never even run SL before. First time running the program, issue occurred.

I think this is a bug.  Any thoughts?

AaronPross
    Community Member

Have you checked each of the answer states?   Sometimes, I'll make an update to one of the answer options in Slide View, and then I'll have to manually go in and update each answer state.  Just rollover each one to see if there are any differences. 

• Hi, Phil!

Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry you're experiencing this issue. Since it sounds like you've already done quite a bit of troubleshooting, I've opened a support case on your behalf so we can investigate what's going on. You'll be hearing from one of our Support Engineers soon via email.

PhilDoud
      Community Member

Thank you! Since posting, I've opened the SL file again to see if one of the slides in question can be previewed correctly. It still does not show what I can see in the edit mode.  I deleted what  Articulate temp files I could find in my local profile, to no effect.

ChelseyRictor-9
      Community Member

I am experiencing this same issue. I went through all of the troubleshooting steps as Phil and I am still having the same issue. I also adjusted the states as Aaron suggested lower in this thread, but SL seems to revert back every time I save and preview again. See the screenshots below. 

ChelseyRictor-9
      Community Member

Hi, Kelly. I posted another reply below with screenshots of my issue. Can you please open a support ticket for myself as well?

KellyAuner
        Staff

Hi, Chelsey!

I'd be happy to open a case on your behalf, although, it looks like you've beat me to it! You can continue working with my teammate, Woojin in your support case to keep all information in one place.

AaronPross
    Community Member

Phil,

Can you be more specific w/ the issues you are experiencing? The only difference I see is that one screen has a border, and the other doesn't. 

-AP

PhilDoud
    Community Member

They're just screen grabs not the full frame. One is from SL edit mode, one from Preview of the same slide.

Tech support asked me to clear the cache, no change. Changed browser, no change.

This is a quiz slide, and I've been changing answer text all along.  I tried changing the question text, and the change appeared just fine in Preview, while the answer edits were ignored.

PhilDoud
    Community Member

Specifically, there was incorrect grammar in the response option A. I changed the response text for A, but the old response text is still visible in Preview.

PhilDoud
    Community Member

You sir, are a true scholar...  I completely forgot about that little SL idiosyncracy! Rollover on the slide didn't show it, but clicking through the States did.

The default state for A was Selected. After changing the text in all States to match it, it now works.

Yessss...From a long time back, I recall this quirk.  I've done exactly what you said before, gone to every quiz slide, checked states, and you always seem to find a few mismatches.

Here's my explanation of this unhelpfully subtle behavior (I know it's by design), see if you agree:

When making changes to answers, if the Initial State is anything other than Normal, the text changes will not propagate. Since the correct answer (if selected as correct in Form view or Slide view shows it) defaults to Selected as its initial state, if you edit that particular answer without editing the other States, there will be a mismatch.

Testing that theory just now, it holds true for a multiple choice question. Presumably true for multiple selection, I would think.

I can understand why changes wouldn't ripple 'up' from Selected to Normal, otherwise you couldn't have distinct, separate States.

Something else to remember in 10 months or so, when I'm back in SL doing my very occasional edit.

AaronPross
    Community Member

Hi Phil. 

I'm so happy I could assist you! That made my weekend, to be honest.

Sometimes, Storyline's button states can be finicky. I've had the width of an individual button state change. For some reason, the rollover state is where I find the most discrepancies. 

I've also experienced line spacing between the different states.  Nine times out of ten, when I edit the Normal state, the changes do propagate. 

When I do make those one-off edits to the answer choices, I try to remember to check each of the states.  

Glad I could help!
    Take Care! 
    AP

AaronPross
    Community Member

Would you be willing to add storyline file with just the button so I can try and duplicate your issue?