Forum Discussion

CarrieRichar930
Community Member
3 months ago

text not showing in Focus order

None of the text on my slides is showing up in the focus order.  I have to go through every text box and manually mark it accessible.  I changed my player-accessible text to true in the project variables. 

• Do you have a slide you can share? 

You shouldn't have to change the variable as that just decides between SVG text or html text

• I think that I may have the same issue. Maybe I don't understand how it fully works. I'm attaching an example. If I have a text box that is marked accessible, the text is a light gray in the Alt text field, and it doesn't show up in the Focus Order. 

The only way I have found to add the text in the focus order's alt text is to go through each text box, go to the Size and Position, Accessibility tab and add a space at the end of the Alt text. Do I really need to do this in order for a reader to pick up the alt text? Thank you!

EricSantos
      Staff

Hello Mirella,

I’m happy to help. I appreciate the screenshot you shared!
      What you described regarding the text being light gray in the alt text field is expected. The alternative text for that object does not show in the Focus Order window because it will be read by a screen reader by default.

If an object such as a textbox doesn’t have alt text, screen readers will read the greyed-out text. Adding a space at the end of the greyed-out text will not make a difference in the screen reader’s behavior.

If you’d like to edit the objects’ alt text more quickly, you can edit them directly in the Focus Order window instead of the Size and Position window. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have additional questions.